27 years of London Fashion Week - in pictures
Wednesday 16 February 2011
London Fashion Week returns on Friday for the twenty-seventh year running.
Founded by the British Fashion Council in 1984, its first show included Betty Jackson, Ghost, and John Galliano's debut collection. The event was organised by London Designer’s Collective founder Annette Worsley-Taylor and PR Lynne Franks.
Since its launch, the event has shocked, fascinated, and influenced fashion around the world. The show has launched the careers of British designers, from Alexander McQueen to Stella McCartney, and introduced models such as Kate Moss and Lily Cole to the catwalk.
From the sculptural hats of Philip Treacy and Hussein Chalayan’s "table-dress", to the more modest designs of Issa, London Fashion Week has always set trends: Mid-nineties "Cool Britannia" made the union jack fashionable. In recent years, designers have popularised military-look jackets, Fair Isle knitwear and maxi-dresses.
Here we bring you some of the iconic looks from the fashion extravaganza:
Life & Style blogs
Report finds English children among the unhappiest in world
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
The ALS Association doesn't yet know what to do with all this ice bucket challenge money
The science of saturated fat: A big fat surprise about nutrition?
The best gowns on the red carpet of 2014 Venice Film Festival
- 1 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 2 Joan Rivers: 'Palestinians deserve to be dead'
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 Botched ice bucket challenge leaves man critically injured after plane drops hundreds of gallons of water
- 5 Friends reunion: Jennifer Anniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
- < Previous
- Next >
Highly Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: CITY - An excellent new instruction w...
£500 per day: Harrington Starr: SQL Server Developer SQL, PHP, C#, Real Time,...
£600 per day: Harrington Starr: C#.NET Developer C#, Win Forms, WPF, WCF, MVVM...