27 years of London Fashion Week - in pictures
Wednesday 16 February 2011
London Fashion Week returns on Friday for the twenty-seventh year running.
Founded by the British Fashion Council in 1984, its first show included Betty Jackson, Ghost, and John Galliano's debut collection. The event was organised by London Designer’s Collective founder Annette Worsley-Taylor and PR Lynne Franks.
Since its launch, the event has shocked, fascinated, and influenced fashion around the world. The show has launched the careers of British designers, from Alexander McQueen to Stella McCartney, and introduced models such as Kate Moss and Lily Cole to the catwalk.
From the sculptural hats of Philip Treacy and Hussein Chalayan’s "table-dress", to the more modest designs of Issa, London Fashion Week has always set trends: Mid-nineties "Cool Britannia" made the union jack fashionable. In recent years, designers have popularised military-look jackets, Fair Isle knitwear and maxi-dresses.
Here we bring you some of the iconic looks from the fashion extravaganza:
Life & Style blogs
Snapchat removed the Best Friends list feature and 'stalkers' are upset
Fifty years of David Bowie's hairstyles in one animated gif
Virtual reality thrusts viewers into the frontline of global events - and puts film-goers at the heart of the action
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
Doctors in the dock: Scandal of GPs who get cash from healthcare firms for patient referrals
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 3 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 4 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 5 Isis publicly behead man in Syrian town square for 'insulting Allah' as he screams for help
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This established Digital Agency based in East ...
£28000 - £32000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Creative Marketing Executive (Stand...
Negotiable: Tradewind Recruitment: Our exclusive client in St Albans Hertfords...
Negotiable: Tradewind Recruitment: Key Stage 2 Teachers needed in Hertfordshir...