Cosmetics to make you look comic - in a good way
Comic-book capers abound on the big screen, but MAC has being doing good work on bringing them to the beauty counter, too. The cosmetics brand’s latest limited-edition collection is inspired by the characters of Archie comics. Two contrasting colour stories are inspired by the bubbly girl-next-door Betty and vampy rich girl Veronica.
Love hearts and cartoon faces adorn the limited-edition collection that features contrasting shades of dark and light, playing Betty’s blond hair and peaches-and-cream complexion off against Veronica’s blue-black Bettie Page pin-up fringe. With names like “girl next door”, “summer sweetheart” and “past curfew” the cosmetics – including lipsticks, eye make-up, nail polishes and powder – encapsulate the all-American spirit of the comic that, although first drawn in the early Forties and since modernised, evokes the tight sweaters, bobby socks and saddle shoes of the teens that emerged in the Fifties.
This is only the most recent in a long line of colourful collaborations – MAC has previously devised collections featuring Wonder Woman, Disney villains, Miss Piggy, Barbie and Hello Kitty from the world of illustration. Collaboration-happy MAC has also called on the talents of IRL contributors Cindy Sherman, Iris Apfel, Beth Ditto and Gareth Pugh.
British audiences may not be the most familiar with Archie, so perhaps a collaboration with the home-grown talent of Dennis the Menace would be more fitting – especially considering the monochrome mania that the fashion world is in the grips of this season.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Arizona shooting: Gun instructor accidentally killed by nine-year-old girl with Uzi
- 2 Miley Cyrus' homeless MTV VMAs date, Jesse Helt, is wanted by the police
- 3 Paul Scholes: Manchester City were so good against Liverpool I felt like turning the television off
- 4 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 5 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
- < Previous
- Next >
£45000 - £60000 Per Annum + benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Scrum M...
£25000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: Job Title: Junior As...
£33000 - £40000 Per Annum Discretionary profit share: The Green Recruitment Co...
£21000 - £35000 per annum: Randstad Education Cambridge: Supply teachers requi...