The shoes that ensure you don't step on any toes
Samuel Muston is deputy editor & food editor of The Independent Magazine. He writes a weekly food column – On the Menu – which appears in The Independent on Friday and i on Monday. And also travel and general features. Follow him on Instagram at @smuston
Tuesday 20 March 2012
You're in a bar, it's Friday night and you've taken a fancy to the good-looking chap at the far end of the bar. But it's dark; too dark to see if he's wearing a wedding ring. What to do? Go over and risk the embarrassment? Or bury yourself in your dry white wine and maybe miss out on The One?
Well, as the gossip website Jezebel points out, from now on you should probably just look down, at his feet – to see if he is wearing a pair of Arfango's $249 (£155) loafers. The not-so-suave shoes are covered, over and over, with a message intended to leave no one in doubt where the wearer's allegiance lies. It reads, in block capitals: "I'M NOT AVAILABLE."
Life & Style blogs
What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
iPhone 6s photos leak shows new phone will be thicker than iPhone 6, could make cases defunct
Women really are more attracted to men who make them laugh, study finds
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
Orthorexia nervosa: How becoming obsessed with healthy eating can lead to malnutrition
- 1 What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
- 2 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 3 'Heartbreaking' Syria orphan photo wasn't taken in Syria and not of orphan
- 4 Bob Geldof offers to take four refugee families into his home 'immediately' as he condemns humanitarian crisis as a ‘f**king disgrace'
- 5 Orthorexia nervosa: How becoming obsessed with healthy eating can lead to malnutrition
£37040 - £43600 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The UK's export credit agency a...
£25000 - £27500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company provides a compreh...
£16800 - £19500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Would you like to join an organ...
£25000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: In the last five years this com...