Bites: The penny drops on cheap treats
Sunday 07 June 2009
This week's New Review Food Special celebrates nature and, admittedly, there's not much that's natural about sweets, but they are a simple pleasure. And since belt-tightening is all around (financially, if not physically), sweets give pleasure beyond their diminutive size. One of our favourites for cheap thrills is online retailer A Quarter Of, purveyors of old-fashioned confectionery, which reports sales up 100 per cent since this time last year. That's a lot of flying saucers...
It seems that penny sweets are more popular than ever because we all want a treat when times are tight, no matter how small.
For a sunny disposition, we prescribe a glass Kilner jar full of nostalgic treats such as milk bottles, shrimps, pineapple cubes and Blackjacks on every desk and kitchen counter across the land: £13.47 will buy you 900g worth of tooth-sticking joy, which can then be replenished with your favourite (such as midget gems, £21.48 for 3kg).
elephant appealThe first 23 lots in our charity auction have now gone. But there are 22 more still up for grabs
The magicians using online collaboration to push boundaries
Jennifer Lawrence attacks mass media again over body image
Life & Style blogs
- 1 America's 'virgin births'? One in 200 mothers 'became pregnant without having sex'
- 2 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 3 Ian Watkins: Police probed over earlier allegations as paedophile Lostprophets singer sentenced to 35 years for child sex offences
- 4 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber 'retiring from music'
- 5 Children evacuated from swimming pool after prosthetic leg mistaken for paedophile
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Food & Drink
£18000 - £27000 per annum + Award-Winning Benefits: Round The World Experts: D...
£18000 - £22000 per annum + Award-Winning Benefits: FCm Travel Solutions: FCm ...
£23000 - £27000 per annum + £18K base & uncapped commission & benefits: Flight...
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: We would very much like to hear from applicant...