Chinese New Year 2014: Top 10 Chinese restaurants in UK revealed
Tomorrow will see people around the world hail the start of the Year of the Horse
With celebrations planned around the world to see in the Chinese New Year tomorrow, it is set to be one of the busiest days of the year for people heading out in search of Far Eastern cuisine.
Handily, the travel website TripAdvisor has now revealed its list of the top 10 Chinese restaurants in the UK, based on reviews submitted by customers.
While it’s great news for the residents of St Helens in Merseyside, people in the capital will be disappointed to learn that not a single London-based restaurant made the list.
The northwest as a whole actually fares disproportionately well, accounting for a staggering seven of the top 10 Chinese restaurants in the country. It is not entirely clear whether or not this is simply a product of the positive outlook of the people who live there.
Coming out on top of the chart was The Golden Horses, St Helens, which one reviewer said had “absolutely outstanding food” and “very friendly and polite staff”.
Making up the rest of the top three were The Lady Jade in Liverpool and Michael Wan's Mandarin Cantonese Restaurant just off Blackpool Promenade, which was described as “stunningly decorated”.
TripAdvisor said its list was compiled based on the average ratings and review provided by travellers to its site – so perhaps it is simply the case that Londoners are more sparing when dishing out praise.
Tomorrow will bring the start of the Year of the Horse, which it is believed brings prosperity and wealth. Those planning on celebrating with an appropriate Chinese dining experience will perhaps be glad it isn’t the year of the fox.
The list in full: Top 10 UK Chinese restaurants
1. The Golden Horses, St. Helens
2. The Lady Jade, Liverpool
3. Michael Wan's Mandarin Cantonese Restaurant, Blackpool
4. Coconut Tree Noodle Bar, Herne Bay
5. Hoya's Cantonese Restaurant, Heywood
6. Maple Tree, Marple
7. China Red, Guernsey
8. The Zen Restaurant, Lytham St. Annes
9. Wings Chinese Restaurant, Southend-on-Sea
10. Oriental Delight, Wirral
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Mario Balotelli: Staff at arson-hit Manchester Dogs' Home convinced Liverpool striker is behind five-figure donation
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 There is literally not a single woman in this iPhone 6 queue
- 4 Hitler’s former food taster reveals the horrors of the Wolf’s Lair
- 5 Scottish independence: Tory revolt against 'devo max' grows as Rail Minister Claire Perry joins
iJobs Food & Drink
£18000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: ***EXCELLENT OPPORTUNITY FO...
Basic of £18,000 + commission, realistic OTE of £30-£50k : Ocean Holidays: Le...
£20 - 26k + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Marketing Executive / Member Services Ex...
£15,000 - £25,000: Recruitment Genius: A fantastic opportunity has arisen for ...