Chinese New Year 2014: Top 10 Chinese restaurants in UK revealed
Tomorrow will see people around the world hail the start of the Year of the Horse
With celebrations planned around the world to see in the Chinese New Year tomorrow, it is set to be one of the busiest days of the year for people heading out in search of Far Eastern cuisine.
Handily, the travel website TripAdvisor has now revealed its list of the top 10 Chinese restaurants in the UK, based on reviews submitted by customers.
While it’s great news for the residents of St Helens in Merseyside, people in the capital will be disappointed to learn that not a single London-based restaurant made the list.
The northwest as a whole actually fares disproportionately well, accounting for a staggering seven of the top 10 Chinese restaurants in the country. It is not entirely clear whether or not this is simply a product of the positive outlook of the people who live there.
Coming out on top of the chart was The Golden Horses, St Helens, which one reviewer said had “absolutely outstanding food” and “very friendly and polite staff”.
Making up the rest of the top three were The Lady Jade in Liverpool and Michael Wan's Mandarin Cantonese Restaurant just off Blackpool Promenade, which was described as “stunningly decorated”.
TripAdvisor said its list was compiled based on the average ratings and review provided by travellers to its site – so perhaps it is simply the case that Londoners are more sparing when dishing out praise.
Tomorrow will bring the start of the Year of the Horse, which it is believed brings prosperity and wealth. Those planning on celebrating with an appropriate Chinese dining experience will perhaps be glad it isn’t the year of the fox.
The list in full: Top 10 UK Chinese restaurants
1. The Golden Horses, St. Helens
2. The Lady Jade, Liverpool
3. Michael Wan's Mandarin Cantonese Restaurant, Blackpool
4. Coconut Tree Noodle Bar, Herne Bay
5. Hoya's Cantonese Restaurant, Heywood
6. Maple Tree, Marple
7. China Red, Guernsey
8. The Zen Restaurant, Lytham St. Annes
9. Wings Chinese Restaurant, Southend-on-Sea
10. Oriental Delight, Wirral
Life & Style blogs
China accused of launching four-day cyber attack on US coding website GitHub
Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
Robert Parker interview: The world's top wine critic on tasting 10,000 bottles a year, absurd drinking notes and New World wannabes
The ‘anti-ball crushing’ trousers are so popular they've sold out online
American Apparel gets another ad banned by advertising watchdog for sexualising children
- 1 Germanwings crash: Captain of doomed plane was only 'on board because he changed job to spend more time with his children'
- 2 Ohio Democrat Teresa Fedor speaks out during abortion debate to reveal she has been raped – and is interrupted by laughter from Republicans
- 3 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
- 4 Germanwings crash: 'Andreas Lubitz planned to marry pregnant girlfriend', claims German report
- 5 Germanwings plane crash: Transcript reveals passengers 'screamed for over five minutes' before plane crashed into mountain
iJobs Food & Drink
£24,000 pa, plus benefits: SFL Group: Looking for a hard-working and self-moti...
£16000 - £17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This rapidly expanding travel c...
£24000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Do you have a strong record of ...
£24000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: You will have demonstrable unde...