Chinese New Year 2014: Top 10 Chinese restaurants in UK revealed
Tomorrow will see people around the world hail the start of the Year of the Horse
With celebrations planned around the world to see in the Chinese New Year tomorrow, it is set to be one of the busiest days of the year for people heading out in search of Far Eastern cuisine.
Handily, the travel website TripAdvisor has now revealed its list of the top 10 Chinese restaurants in the UK, based on reviews submitted by customers.
While it’s great news for the residents of St Helens in Merseyside, people in the capital will be disappointed to learn that not a single London-based restaurant made the list.
The northwest as a whole actually fares disproportionately well, accounting for a staggering seven of the top 10 Chinese restaurants in the country. It is not entirely clear whether or not this is simply a product of the positive outlook of the people who live there.
Coming out on top of the chart was The Golden Horses, St Helens, which one reviewer said had “absolutely outstanding food” and “very friendly and polite staff”.
Making up the rest of the top three were The Lady Jade in Liverpool and Michael Wan's Mandarin Cantonese Restaurant just off Blackpool Promenade, which was described as “stunningly decorated”.
TripAdvisor said its list was compiled based on the average ratings and review provided by travellers to its site – so perhaps it is simply the case that Londoners are more sparing when dishing out praise.
Tomorrow will bring the start of the Year of the Horse, which it is believed brings prosperity and wealth. Those planning on celebrating with an appropriate Chinese dining experience will perhaps be glad it isn’t the year of the fox.
The list in full: Top 10 UK Chinese restaurants
1. The Golden Horses, St. Helens
2. The Lady Jade, Liverpool
3. Michael Wan's Mandarin Cantonese Restaurant, Blackpool
4. Coconut Tree Noodle Bar, Herne Bay
5. Hoya's Cantonese Restaurant, Heywood
6. Maple Tree, Marple
7. China Red, Guernsey
8. The Zen Restaurant, Lytham St. Annes
9. Wings Chinese Restaurant, Southend-on-Sea
10. Oriental Delight, Wirral
Life & Style blogs
What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
Overly-controlling parents cause their children lifelong psychological damage, says study
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
Star Wars BB-8 droid toy is real, should be impossible
Orthorexia nervosa: How becoming obsessed with healthy eating can lead to malnutrition
- 1 What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
- 2 President Obama leaves touching comment on Humans of New York photo from Iran
- 3 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 4 The Chinese city where men have 'three girlfriends because there are so many women'
- 5 'Heartbreaking' Syria orphan photo wasn't taken in Syria and not of orphan
iJobs Food & Drink
£22000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...
£7500 - £10000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness chai...
COMPETITIVE: Guru Careers: A Marketing / Digital Marketing Executive (CRM, Eve...
£8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: The role is likely to be 4on 4 off, days and ...