My Life On A Plate: Allegra McEvedy
Saturday 16 August 2008
Allegra McEvedy is a co-founder of healthy fast-food chain Leon. The author of several cookbooks, she cut her teeth at Robert de Niro's Tribeca Grill in New York.
My top table
Eating lunch with no one else in sight, right on the lip of the Ngora Ngora crater [in Tanzania] on honeymoon.
A good fish pie (which must have hard-boiled egg in it), peas and ketchup.
My favourite cookbook
I use cookbooks in a fairly odd way, tending to flip through the index for thought-provokers rather than using the actual recipes in the book, but for all round ability, it would have to be Claudia Roden's Book of Middle Eastern Food.
The food shop I can't walk past
There are a few, but Alistair Little's delicatessen, Tavola (155 Westbourne Grove, London W11, 020-7229 0571), is the one. Kid in a toyshop!
What's in my fridge?
A pint of trotter stock; two brined poussin; a lot of Leon chilli sauce that I keep recipe testing for a new book; two flat slabs of bacon that I brined myself; a jar of Polish horseradish (leaps and bounds over the English stuff); and a lot of sake.
' Leon: Ingredients and Recipes for the Good Life' is out in the autumn, £20
Diving in at the deep end is no excuse for shirking the style stakes
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Game of Thrones author George RR Martin says 'f*** you' to fans who fear he will die before finishing Westeros saga
- 2 Loom bands: Bids for dress made from colourful rubber reach almost £154,000 on eBay
- 3 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
- 4 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 5 L'Oreal cuts ties with Belgium supporter Axelle Despiegelaere after hunting trip photographs
iJobs Food & Drink
£45-£55k OTE £75k : Charter Selection: Major London International Fashion and ...
Voluntary, reasonable expenses reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: Are you keen on...
£33000 - £45000 per annum + 8% Bonus, pension: Deerfoot IT Resources Limited: ...
£30K- £40K pa + Commision £10K + Benefits: Charter Selection: Rapidly expandin...