Nettle and wild garlic soup with sea snails
Saturday 04 April 2009
12 or so sea snails or whelks (cooked, removed from the shell and trimmed)
2 leeks, trimmed, cut into rough 1cm rounds and washed
A couple of good knobs of butter
1.5litres vegetable stock
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
A handful of wild garlic leaves, washed and chopped
A handful of young nettle tops, washed
Melt the butter in a thick-bottomed pan and gently cook the leek for 2-3 minutes to soften, stirring every so often. Stir in the flour, then gradually stir in the stock. Bring to the boil and simmer on a medium heat for about 20 minutes.
Add about two-thirds of the nettles and wild garlic and simmer for another few minutes. Blend in a liquidiser until smooth then return to the pan. Add the rest of the wild garlic and nettles and simmer for a few more minutes, seasoning again if necessary. Slice the whelks, add to the soup and serve.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Russell Brand accuses FOX News anchor Sean Hannity of terrorism after aggressive Israel-Gaza debate
- 2 Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness – including don’t try to convert other people
- 3 Arturo Vidal to Manchester United: Midfielder set to force through move to Louis van Gaal's Red Devils - reports
- 4 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 5 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Food & Drink
£23,000: Sauce Recruitment: A global leader in sports and entertainment is now...
£40000 - £60000 per annum + Pension, Healthcare : Deerfoot IT Resources Limite...
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: VB.NET a...
Unpaid voluntary role: Old Royal Naval College: To assist the Visitor Experien...