Nettle and wild garlic soup with sea snails
Saturday 04 April 2009
12 or so sea snails or whelks (cooked, removed from the shell and trimmed)
2 leeks, trimmed, cut into rough 1cm rounds and washed
A couple of good knobs of butter
1.5litres vegetable stock
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
A handful of wild garlic leaves, washed and chopped
A handful of young nettle tops, washed
Melt the butter in a thick-bottomed pan and gently cook the leek for 2-3 minutes to soften, stirring every so often. Stir in the flour, then gradually stir in the stock. Bring to the boil and simmer on a medium heat for about 20 minutes.
Add about two-thirds of the nettles and wild garlic and simmer for another few minutes. Blend in a liquidiser until smooth then return to the pan. Add the rest of the wild garlic and nettles and simmer for a few more minutes, seasoning again if necessary. Slice the whelks, add to the soup and serve.
Life & Style blogs
Rihanna's Met Gala dress took one Chinese woman 2 years to make, was reduced to omelette meme in 2 seconds
Women think Irish men are the sexiest, survey finds
How to gain confidence and maximise your sexual potential
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
The 12 most sexually satisfied countries in the world revealed
- 1 Katie Hopkins gives rare glimpse of sensitive side with heartfelt open letter to her children penned in case she dies from epilepsy
- 2 Rihanna's Met Gala dress took one Chinese woman 2 years to make, was reduced to omelette meme in 2 seconds
- 3 Top Gear: Jodie Kidd, Philip Glenister and Guy Martin 'in advanced talks' to replace Jeremy Clarkson and co
- 4 Women think Irish men are the sexiest, survey finds
- 5 Florida couple forced to register as sex offenders for having sex on public beach
iJobs Food & Drink
£32K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Dining Room Head Chef to work for one of ...
£27K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Pastry Sous Chef / Experienced Pastry Che...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A growing business that has been ope...
£24800 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: As one of London's leading Muse...