The 10 Best cookbooks for autumn
From culinary classics to the tastiest new releases, these seasonal reads will give you something to chew over...
1. Madhur Jaffrey's Ultimate Curry Bible
If you only ever buy one curry recipe book, make it this one. It is meticulously researched, as well as tried and tested by a legend.
2. Pie by Angela Boggiano
This shows you to master the art of pastry-making and turn even a frugal filling into a lavish, comforting pie, from calzone to steak-and-kidney pie.
3. The Autumn Fruits Cookbook
This may be the best fiver you spend all year, with a host of quick, easy and inspired recipes.
4. Jerusalem by Yotam Ottolenghi and Sami Tamimi
A stunning book that collates the writers' best Middle-Eastern recipes, but be prepared to hunt for some of the ingredients.
5. Jamie's 15-Minute Meals by Jamie Oliver
Jamie's 30-Minute Meals was the fastest-selling non-fiction book ever. Now he's halved the cooking time – will this beat his own record?
6. Slow Cooking by James Martin
Every recipe includes an hour or more of cooking or marinating time. Yet they require minimum effort; the oven does all the work.
7. Nigelissima by Nigella Lawson
Nigella's recipes are full of shortcuts and delicious, making her books bestsellers. This one turns to Italian food following her latest BBC series.
8. Michel Roux: The Collection
The chef's 250 favourite recipes are not for the faint-hearted – think poussins scented with ginger and wild mushroom cappelletti.
9. Kitchen Diaries II By Nigel Slater
Britain's best-loved food writer and presenter has come up trumps again with this second volume of his acclaimed book.
10. Fireside Feasts & Snow Day Treats
Indulgent comfort food at its best – just what you need as the nights start to draw in; from slow-cooked pork belly to classic apple pie.
Life & Style blogs
Plus live in a folly tower and Towcester growth
Plus how much you need to earn to rent in London, and new homes figures
Plus where The Apprentices live, house price growth outside London, and househunter numbers
The 10 Best Scotch Whiskies
Casualty in crisis: A&E - a service in meltdown
The myth of the modern dad exposed: New book claims men still won't sacrifice their careers for fatherhood
The experts' guide to summer: From getting fit for the beach to recreating that Olympic buzz
Obsessive compulsive hoarding: A serious health risk in store
- 1 Heading for America? Prepare for the longest US immigration queues ever
- 2 Notes from a small island: Is Sealand an independent 'micronation' or an illegal fortress?
- 3 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 4 David Cameron goes to war with newspapers over 'swivel-eyed loons' slur
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
iJobs Food & Drink
£26400 - £36000 per annum: Randstad Education Maidstone: An Independant school...
£22k-£25k + comm + benefits: Blue Travel Solutions: LOOKING FOR A CAREER IN TH...
£26k-£29k + excellent comm: Blue Travel Solutions: We have a high-end luxury t...
£23000 - £27000 per annum + (£15K + Uncapped Commission & Benefits): Flight Ce...