Wines of the week: Bodegas Tomas Cusine Vilosell 2008; Cordillera Reserva Privada; Cuvée Extreme, Côtes Du Roussillon 2009
Terry Kirby selects the best bottles to buy
Sunday 08 January 2012
Bodegas Tomas Cusine Vilosell 2008
As the festive season fades from memory, we need full-bodied, warming wines to banish the January chills and remind us of sunnier climes. This complex blend of Tempranillo, Syrah, Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot is intense but flavour-packed, with big red fruits on the nose, firm and structured in the mouth, with tastes of cedarwood, hints of oak and a long, sweeter finish. Terrific with game casserole topped with parsley dumplings. £12.95, slurp.co.uk
Cordillera Reserva Privada
If a fulsome white is required this month, this Chilean wine (from the well-regarded Spanish Torres stable) would be perfect with a smoked-fish pie, shellfish and vegetable dishes. The blend of slightly oaky Chardonnay, leavened with a splash of aromatic Viognier, delivers generous tropical and green-fruit flavours with a nutty, toasty, vanilla underpinning and some smoky, spicy, notes. £11.10, yorkshirevintners.co.uk; £11.46 (minimum purchase six bottles), vintagemarque.com
Cuvée Extreme, Côtes Du Roussillon 2009
This time of year is good for bargain-hunters as supermarkets clear surplus stock. Here, we are back to robust reds, this time from the South of France, with a typical local blend of Syrah, Carignan and Grenache, aged a little in oak and bursting with spicy, herby flavours that would be perfect with a big bowl of pasta with meatballs after a cold journey home. £7.99 (reduced from £9.99 until 29 January), Marks & Spencer
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let's see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Gingers face extinction due to climate change, scientists warn
- 3 Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: In defence of Mesut Ozil - the Arsenal midfielder works magic in the shadows
- 4 Pornhub pleads with users to stop uploading videos of Brazil 'getting f**ked by Germany' in World Cup match
- 5 Give childhood back to children: if we want our offspring to have happy, productive and moral lives, we must allow more time for play, not less
iJobs Food & Drink
£45-£55k OTE £75k : Charter Selection: Major London International Fashion and ...
Voluntary, reasonable expenses reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: Are you keen on...
£33000 - £45000 per annum + 8% Bonus, pension: Deerfoot IT Resources Limited: ...
£30K- £40K pa + Commision £10K + Benefits: Charter Selection: Rapidly expandin...