Wines of the Week: Domaine Jean-Marc Burgaud, Morgon, Côte du Py, 2011; La Casa de Sitios de Bodega Sauvignon Blanc 201; Torre del Falco Nero di Troia Puglia, 2010
Terry Kirby selects the best bottles to buy
Sunday 13 January 2013
Domaine Jean-Marc Burgaud, Morgon, Côte du Py, 2011
This astonishingly well made and vibrant Beaujolais-Villages wine demonstrates the versatility of the Gamay grape; though richly assertive with fabulously deep, dark cherry and plum flavours and a long, savoury finish, it remains freshly mineral on the palate. Exciting now, but will improve with age and an ideal accompaniment to venison casserole or cassoulet to ward off January chills. £11.95, thewinesociety.com
La Casa de Sitios de Bodega Sauvignon Blanc 2011
This very modern-tasting Sauvignon Blanc – from one of northern Spain's oldest wine-making areas – shows all the influences of the New World in its fresh and zingy grapefruit and gooseberry flavours, but without the mouth-puckering acid-drop tendency and with a lovely, soft, rounded finish. Try with baked cod loin with a herb crust. £6.49, Co-op stores
Torre del Falco Nero di Troia Puglia, 2010
One of the best January discounts around, this smashing red from the southern heel of Italy features the less well known but indigenous Nero di Troia grape, which delivers plenty of full-on, bright red-fruit flavours and a nice crispness on the palate. A satisfying and easy drinking bottle for home- made pizza or a bowl of pasta with a traditional ragu. £5.99 (until January 22; normally £7.99), Waitrose
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Rice Bucket Challenge: India's take on the Ice Bucket Challenge 'for Indian needs'
- 2 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
- 3 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 4 Rubble Bucket Challenge: Ice Bucket Challenge adapted in solidarity with Gazans whose homes have been destroyed in conflict
- 5 Car tax disc changes: Make sure you know the new rules from 1 October or risk £1,000 fine
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Food & Drink
£30 - 35k + Uncapped Comission (£70k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Business Develop...
£18k + Uncapped Commission (£60k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Graduate Sales Exe...
£25 - 60k (DOE): Guru Careers: A Web Developer / Software Developer is needed ...
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...