Wines of the week: Les Maros, Terrasses du Larzac, 2011; Vergelegen Cabernet Sauvignon Merlot 2009; Wither Hills Sauvignon Blanc 2012
Terry Kirby selects the best bottles to buy
Sunday 20 October 2013
Les Maros, Terrasses du Larzac, 2011
Superb modern wine-making in the heart of the Languedoc. Made from old Grenache, Carignan and Cinsault vines, there are aromas of liquorice and leather on the nose and spicy dark fruits on the palate here. Intense and complex, but fresh and silky. Will keep, but wonderful now with any autumn game, particularly venison. £14.99, cambridgewine.com
Vergelegen Cabernet Sauvignon Merlot 2009
Just the thing for a bowl of pasta or a steak on a cooler autumnal evening. Characteristic flavours of chocolate and coffee with ripe plums and blackberries are to the fore in this fine Stellenbosch blend from one of South Africa's best producers. £8.99 (each, for two bottles as part of a purchase of six mixed bottles; normally £11.24), majestic.co.uk
Wither Hills Sauvignon Blanc 2012
Just because it's widely available and discounted (of which this is probably the best deal), should not detract from the sheer quality of this benchmark Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc. Bursting with vibrant gooseberry, citric and green-herb flavours, this is simply a great all-round wine at a great price. £6.99 (until 29 October; normally £9.99), Co-op stores
Life & Style blogs
Kylie Jenner challenge: Strange lip suction device inspired by Kardashian sister goes viral
International Space Station could be fitted with huge lasers to shoot down space junk
Loch Ness Monster: Google Maps unveils Nessie Street View and homepage Doodle
Coachella Festival 2015: from Kendall Jenner to Alexa Chung, stars and festival-goers parade their boho best
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
- 1 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 2 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor David Dinsmore reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 3 Parma, Missouri: 80 per cent of town's police quit after first black mayor is elected
- 4 Australian student Tommy Connolly, 23, adopts his pregnant, homeless 17-year-old cousin to give her a chance at 'a better life'
- 5 Google search history can now be downloaded in its entirety, mass embarrassment expected
iJobs Food & Drink
£21K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Front of House Receptionist to provide th...
£24000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: With offices in Manchester, Lon...
Competitive (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a number of Marketi...
£20000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This well established business ...