Wines of the week: The best festive bottles
Sunday 29 December 2013
As New Year's Eve approaches, there are vast swathes of sparkling on offer in the high street, so here are three celebration bottles where quality and price match up…
A budget party sparkler
Philippe Michel Cremant du Jura
Simply one of the very best bargains anywhere: 100 per cent Chardonnay from the Jura region of eastern France, this is crisp, balanced, with lovely green apple and citric notes. Great for parties, but sophisticated enough for any occasion. £6.99, Aldi
An elegant English
Chapel Down Brut NV
From Tenterden in Kent, Chapel Down is one of the pioneers of English wine. Its signature Brut is carefully made, delightfully refreshing, wonderfully effervescent and has that taste of fresh bread and spring meadows that is uniquely English. £14.99 (until 5 January; normally £19.99), Morrisons, morrisonscellar.com
A proper champagne
Herbert Beaufort Grand Cru NV
Individual-grower wine – ie, not the famous names of Krug, Moët etc – has been the emerging trend in champagne, and in this multi-award winning bottle, it's easy to see why. Made from mostly Pinot Noir grapes, it's distinctive, rich, creamy and powerful. £32, Marks and Spencer
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Edward Heath 'raped 12 year-old boy at Mayfair flat'
- 2 Porn block in India: hundreds of sexual websites banned, internet outraged
- 3 Gwen Stefani and Gavin Rossdale divorce: One of music industry’s most enduring couples announce split after 12 years of marriage
- 4 Giant Minion terrorises drivers in Ireland as 40ft inflatable blocks traffic on Dublin road
- 5 Will Smith 'divorce': Actor forced to respond to tabloid rumours after 'condolence' messages
iJobs Food & Drink
Circa £26,500 DOE: Guru Careers: An International Project Coordinator / Accoun...
£25k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Plumber / Mainten...
£14000 - £17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing travel comp...
£19000 - £21000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Are you looking for an exciting...