Wines of the week: The best festive bottles
Sunday 29 December 2013
As New Year's Eve approaches, there are vast swathes of sparkling on offer in the high street, so here are three celebration bottles where quality and price match up…
A budget party sparkler
Philippe Michel Cremant du Jura
Simply one of the very best bargains anywhere: 100 per cent Chardonnay from the Jura region of eastern France, this is crisp, balanced, with lovely green apple and citric notes. Great for parties, but sophisticated enough for any occasion. £6.99, Aldi
An elegant English
Chapel Down Brut NV
From Tenterden in Kent, Chapel Down is one of the pioneers of English wine. Its signature Brut is carefully made, delightfully refreshing, wonderfully effervescent and has that taste of fresh bread and spring meadows that is uniquely English. £14.99 (until 5 January; normally £19.99), Morrisons, morrisonscellar.com
A proper champagne
Herbert Beaufort Grand Cru NV
Individual-grower wine – ie, not the famous names of Krug, Moët etc – has been the emerging trend in champagne, and in this multi-award winning bottle, it's easy to see why. Made from mostly Pinot Noir grapes, it's distinctive, rich, creamy and powerful. £32, Marks and Spencer
Life & Style blogs
Britain's kitchens so filthy that they present a health risk, says new research
Fashion Revolution Day: wear your clothes inside out and ask #whomademyclothes to support worker welfare
The world's first edible garden of cake
KickassTorrents down: new Isle of Man domain taken offline just hours after launch
How to turn off/stop 'seen by' on Facebook: Disable it to make your chats seem less passive aggressive
- 1 Sofyen Belamouadden murder: The inside story of a crime that horrified Britain
- 2 How to turn off/stop 'seen by' on Facebook: Disable it to make your chats seem less passive aggressive
- 3 Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
- 4 'We're not heroes, just tourists': Swedish police officers on holiday stop vicious assault on New York subway
- 5 Buckingham Palace guard who attacked passers-by in 'most most violent piece of CCTV footage' police officer had seen walks free
iJobs Food & Drink
£35 - 45k: Guru Careers: An MI Developer is needed to join the leading provide...
£20000 - £22500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This leisure organisation manag...
£25000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Delivering an inspiring, engagi...
£17500 - £20500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They are looking for a great te...