Yes! We have loads of bananas: the fruit that's Pret A Manger's biggest seller, shifting 75,000 a week
Pret A Manger’s CEO Clive Schlee was almost wriggling with glee today as he announced a 17 per cent rise in revenue for the food chain.
So what account for Pret’s success? Those free drinks they apparently hand our willy nilly, their speedy service and handy locations? Those factors don’t hurt. But its star item is actually the 50p banana. Schlee told Radio 4’s Today that it was their biggest seller, followed by tuna sandwiches.
Presumably bought as a conscience-salver to 600-calorie “Posh” Cheddar-and-Pickle-baguette lovers, Pret told Trending that it sells 75,000 of them a week (tuna butties do 54,000). To put that into context, that’s like an area the size of Wales made out of 75,000 bananas.
Or, like everyone an Old Trafford waving a banana, Miliband-style.
In fact, the dominance of the banana in Pret is merely a reflection of the fruit’s global pre-eminence. According to the Fairtrade Foundation (Pret’s aren’t Fairtrade but are monitored by agricultural practice auditors Global Gap) ’nanas are the world’s most popular fruit, accruing £10bn in annual sales. In UK supermarkets, only petrol and lottery tickets outsell them.
Which begs one obvious question. How do you like them apples, apples?
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Jennifer Lawrence scores first UK top 40 single with Hunger Games track 'The Hanging Tree'
- 2 Shia LaBeouf claims he was raped during #IAMSORRY art installation performance
- 3 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
- 4 Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries
- 5 Michael Buerk wishes he killed Jimmy Savile when he had the chance - by pushing him overboard a cruise ship
iJobs Food & Drink
£31000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: In the UK, the major project fo...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + benefits: h2 Recruit Ltd: Are you a high achieving...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + benefits: h2 Recruit Ltd: A rapidly growing Hotel ...
£15000 - £16800 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Tyre Technician / Mechanic is...