Chinese food ousts Indian as Britain’s favourite
Tuesday 13 October 2009
Sales of Indian food have been surpassed by Chinese fare in the UK, signifying that Hoisin sauce and not curry sauce is the nation’s favourite
New research found that chicken tikka massala, widely seen as the unofficial British dish, was beaten to the top spot by the Chinese handy snack, spring rolls.
Indian food is by no means suddenly unpopular in the UK, with 71 per cent of those surveyed saying they enjoy tucking into curries like tikka massala, korma and vindaloo.
But oriental choices were more attractive overall, with over 80 per cent of Brits preferring special fried rice, crispy duck and spring rolls.
“Our sales figures certainly support the fact that oriental food is currently the nation’s favourite, with 53 per cent of customers buying the cuisine compared to 43 per cent who opt for Indian food,” said Simon Williams, an acquisition director at Tesco.
“Also, our customer base for oriental food is growing faster than that of Indian,” he said.
But, while Britons are enjoying Chinese dishes our manner of consuming them may not be exactly authentic. The survey found that just 38 per cent of us know how to use chopsticks and only 40 per cent of us actually own a pair.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Easter egg hunt horror as mother finds dead body under deck of house
- 2 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 3 Unbeliebable: The White House offer 'no comment' to anti-Justin Bieber petition
- 4 Loch Ness Monster found on Apple Maps?
- 5 How We Met: Alison Moyet & Emma Kennedy: 'I knew we'd be friends because she was happy to make a prat of herself'
iJobs Food & Drink
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: There are many small development projects in ...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Kaya Responsible Travel offer a variety of sp...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Volunteer with Kaya in Borneo and work on a p...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: If you have a passion for elephants and want ...