A plate of girolles, samphire and bacon
Our first girolles, or chanterelles as they are sometimes called, arrived in mid-July this year. They are always a welcome edition to the menu, bright yellow, trumpet shaped and meaty in texture. The slight saltiness of the samphire and the bacon works well with them as a simple combination for a starter.
60-70g chunky diced bacon or pancetta
2-3 tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
200-250g girolles, cleaned but not washed
A handful of samphire (about 120-150g)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Put a frying pan on a medium heat and cook the bacon with a couple of tablespoons of the oil for 2-4 minutes, turning as they are cooking until lightly coloured.
Add the girolles and keep cooking on a medium heat for 3-4 minutes, still turning them as you go.
Once they are cooked, stir in the samphire and cook for another 30 seconds or so, then remove everything from the heat. Add more oil if necessary and season to taste. Serve immediately.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Mystery man who gave mum heart-warming note on train 'wanted to put a smile on her face'
- 3 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 4 Mafia's wall of silence broken: Victim of Cosa Nostra's extortion rackets in its Corleone heartland co-operates with authorities for the first time ever
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent answer to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
iJobs Food & Drink
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Located on the stunning Sandban...
£26 - 35k (DOE): Guru Careers: An Email Marketing Specialist is needed to join...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity to join a is a...
Unpaid voluntary work: Old Royal Naval College: Join our team of friendly volu...