Armenian tomato and aubergine salad
Saturday 02 July 2011
This is rather like the salad that you find in Turkish restaurants, and it's a great dish to just put on the table as a sharing starter.
You can make this as fine or as coarse as you like, and I prefer chopping the ingredients by hand, but you could also give all the ingredients a whizz in a food processor if you wish.
3 medium-sized aubergines
2 cloves of garlic, preferably new-season's, peeled and crushed
1 red chilli, halved, seeded and finely chopped
350-400g ripe tomatoes, finely chopped
4 spring onions, finely chopped
150ml extra virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2-3tbsp chopped coriander leaves
Cook the whole aubergines on a barbecue or under a hot grill, for about 15 minutes, turning them every so often until the skin blackens.
Remove from the grill and then leave the aubergine to cool a little.
Cut the aubergines in half and scoop out the flesh as close to the skin as you can to get a really good smokey flavour.
Chop the flesh over several times until it's almost a purée, then put it into a bowl with the garlic, chilli, tomatoes, spring onions, olive oil and coriander. Season and mix well with a spoon.
Serve at room temperature with some warm flatbread.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 President of Argentina adopts Jewish godson to 'stop him turning into a werewolf'
- 2 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 3 Stoke-on-Trent becomes first British city to be classified as 'disaster resilient' by the United Nations
- 4 Sir Winston Churchill’s family begged him not to convert to Islam, letter reveals
- 5 UK weather: 'Coldest night of the year' tonight as freezing temperatures plummet to -10C
iJobs Food & Drink
£16000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...
£240 - £275 per day: Investigo: Support the global business through in-depth a...
Negotiable: Ashdown Group: Data Manager - MySQL, Shell Scripts, Java, VB Scrip...