Asparagus and bacon salad
Saturday 28 May 2011
It's a good idea to make the most of our short asparagus season and a salad like this with chunks of crisp bacon makes a great main course. Try to buy a piece of streaky bacon so that you can cut it down into big crouton-like chunks. If not, use some pancetta from a good Italian deli.
350-400g piece of smoked or unsmoked streaky bacon
1-2tbsp vegetable or corn oil
300-350g asparagus, ends removed
3-4 handfuls of small, tasty salad leaves
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the dressing
2tbsp grain mustard
1tbsp clear honey
1tbsp cider vinegar
4tbsp rapeseed oil
Put the bacon in a pan, cover with cold water, bring to the boil and simmer for 1 hour; remove from the water and leave to cool.
Once cool, cut into 2cm squares, heat the vegetable oil in a heavy or non-stick frying pan and cook the bacon on a medium heat for 5-6 minutes, turning the pieces as they are cooking, until crisp.
Meanwhile, cook the asparagus in boiling salted water for 3-4 minutes, then drain. Whisk all of the ingredients together for the dressing; season to taste.
To serve, cut the asparagus in half on the angle and arrange on serving plates with the leaves and bacon and spoon over the dressing.
Life & Style blogs
Apple expands reuse and recycle scheme, letting Android phones be swapped for iPhones
Replica Back to the Future Hoverboard released
When did the Eiffel Tower open to the public? Six things you didn't know about iconic structure
Pacman Google Maps: company offers chance to play classic arcade game on real streets
Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
- 1 Tidal launch: The most pretentious lines from Alicia Keys' valedictory speech
- 2 Britain First 'acting like Ukip henchmen' by invading meeting of activists in revenge for pub protest against Nigel Farage
- 3 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 4 Tidal: Jay Z's Spotify rival streaming service criticised for making wealthy artists even richer
- 5 Brixton squat flats now costing up to £3k per month show how out of control rent is in London
iJobs Food & Drink
£25,000 - £30,000: Sheridan Maine: Are you looking for a fantastic opportunity...
£25000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Management Accountant - Manchester...
£23000 - £25000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Project Accountant (Part-...
£23,000: Beverley James: Do you have a background in hospitality and are you l...