Asparagus with Asian mushrooms
When mushrooms are out of season, I always keep a stash of dried black mushrooms. Asian supermarkets normally have a great selection.
150-200g asparagus with the woody ends removed
50g dried black fungus, soaked in water for 2-3 hours
1tbsp sesame oil
200g fresh Asian mushrooms as above, trimmed and sliced if necessary
6 spring onions, trimmed and sliced on the angle
2-3 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
50g root ginger, scraped and finely grated
A handful of pea shoots or a bunch of watercress
2tbsp soy sauce
2tbsp roughly chopped coriander
Cook the asparagus in boiling, salted water for 2-3 minutes and drain. Then cut into lozenges on the angle. Meanwhile, cook the black fungus in lightly salted water for about 15 minutes, then drain and cut into bite-sized chunks.
Heat the sesame oil in a frying pan or wok; stir-fry the spring onions, garlic, ginger, asparagus, pea shoots (or watercress) and mushrooms for a minute or so.
Add the soy sauce, a couple of tablespoons of water and the coriander, simmer for 30 seconds and remove from the heat. Serve immediately.
Mountain goats miraculously survive avalanche in the Alps
Skyfall's Ben Whishaw confirmed for Freddie Mercury film
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Mountain goats' miraculous escape from avalanche captured in dramatic video footage
- 2 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 3 Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
- 4 Government delays EU immigration report because it is too positive
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Food & Drink
£23000 - £27000 per annum + Award-Winning Benefits: Round The World Experts: L...
£23000 - £27000 per annum + (£16K Base + Uncapped Commission): Flight Centre L...
£2000 - £25500 per annum + Benefits: Flight Centre Limited: We are seeking an ...
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: VB.NET a...