August fruit French toast
Saturday 13 August 2011
Making French toast is so easy, yet we don't often make the effort to do it for a quick, tasty, breakfast or brunch. This is a bit of a twist on the classic pain perdu, by making it into a sandwich with all of those lovely, dark, late-summer fruits.
4 slices of brioche (or bread)
2 medium eggs, beaten
2tbsp caster sugar
A few drops of vanilla essence
150-200g blackberries, blueberries, blackcurrants etc
4tbsp crème fraîche
Whisk the eggs, sugar, milk and vanilla together. Mix the fruits and put the mixture between the brioche slices, pressing them firmly together so that they crush the fruit slightly.
Put the sandwiches in a tray, pour over the egg mixture and leave to stand for about 2-3 minutes. Heat the butter in a preferably non-stick frying pan until it is foaming, carefully remove the sandwiches from the tray with a fish slice and cook for about 2 minutes on each side until golden. Cut the sandwiches in half, transfer on to serving plates and serve with the crème fraîche.
Life & Style blogs
How old is your heart? US research finds three out of four people have hearts five years older than their actual age
iPhone 6s Plus photos: leaks show Force Touch display, subtly altered size
Huawei Mate S and Huawei Watch: new products take on iPhone 6 Plus and Apple Watch
Why do we have eyebrows? The social significance of our silent communicators
WhatsApp: How to discover who your best friends are - using a hidden tool within the application
- 1 Huawei Mate S and Huawei Watch: new products take on iPhone 6 Plus and Apple Watch
- 2 More than 11,000 Icelanders offer to house Syrian refugees to help European crisis
- 3 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 4 Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
- 5 German police forced to ask public to stop bringing donations for refugees arriving by train
iJobs Food & Drink
£25000 - £28000 per annum + 24 days holiday, bonus, etc.: Ashdown Group: Print...
£20000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: With offices in London, Manches...
£30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Customer and Brand Manager required for ...
£25000 - £35000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Systems Administrator A...