August fruit French toast
Saturday 13 August 2011
Making French toast is so easy, yet we don't often make the effort to do it for a quick, tasty, breakfast or brunch. This is a bit of a twist on the classic pain perdu, by making it into a sandwich with all of those lovely, dark, late-summer fruits.
4 slices of brioche (or bread)
2 medium eggs, beaten
2tbsp caster sugar
A few drops of vanilla essence
150-200g blackberries, blueberries, blackcurrants etc
4tbsp crème fraîche
Whisk the eggs, sugar, milk and vanilla together. Mix the fruits and put the mixture between the brioche slices, pressing them firmly together so that they crush the fruit slightly.
Put the sandwiches in a tray, pour over the egg mixture and leave to stand for about 2-3 minutes. Heat the butter in a preferably non-stick frying pan until it is foaming, carefully remove the sandwiches from the tray with a fish slice and cook for about 2 minutes on each side until golden. Cut the sandwiches in half, transfer on to serving plates and serve with the crème fraîche.
Life & Style blogs
Why you should never make assumptions about people with autism
People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
Sugary drinks are killing 184,000 adults around the world every year, says study
Optical illusion turns blue demon into brunette
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 3 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 4 Motorists taunt suicidal woman on bridge and tell her to 'get on with it'
- 5 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
iJobs Food & Drink
£15000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: To support their continued grow...
£33000 - £38000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A global player and world leade...
£18000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: If you are friendly, sociable, ...
£22300 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This museum group is looking for a Payro...