Sunday 10 May 2009
This bread is best served warm from the oven, when the lovely smell of cinnamon and cooked bananas is still lingering in the kitchen. Bananas that have begun to soften and bruise are best – so this recipe is perfect to use up the fruit sitting in the bottom of your fruit bowl.
2 tbsp chopped almonds
100g/31/2oz muscovado sugar
1 tsp of ground cinnamon
1 rounded teaspoon of baking powder
Pinch of salt
225g/71/2oz plain flour
4 medium-sized bananas
110g/33/4oz butter, at room temperature
2 large eggs
Heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas5. Place the chopped almonds and dark sugar into a small bowl, mix together using your fingers and set aside. Now take a large mixing bowl and sift the cinnamon, baking powder, salt and flour together. In a separate bowl, mash the bananas using a fork then add to the dry ingredients, along with the softened butter.
Using an electric mixer, beat until all the ingredients are well combined, starting slowly and gradually increasing the speed, for a minute. Add the eggs one by one and mix well to combine.
Line an eight-inch loaf tin with parchment paper and pour the cake mixture in, smoothing the top. Sprinkle the brown sugar and chopped almonds over the top of the cake mix, then place on the middle shelf of the oven to cook for an hour. Remove and allow to cool slightly before turning out. Eat immediately.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
- 2 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 3 The Chinese city where men have 'three girlfriends because there are so many women'
- 4 'Heartbreaking' Syria orphan photo wasn't taken in Syria and not of orphan
- 5 Orthorexia nervosa: How becoming obsessed with healthy eating can lead to malnutrition
iJobs Food & Drink
£22000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...
£7500 - £10000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness chai...
COMPETITIVE: Guru Careers: A Marketing / Digital Marketing Executive (CRM, Eve...
£8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: The role is likely to be 4on 4 off, days and ...