When you really have an excess of mackerel then this makes a
fantastic snack or main meal. It's also a great way to get the kids
eating fish: a whole mackerel might put them off, but you can tempt
them to try fish with the Big Mack.
This can be serve with a relish of your choice like corn or spiced tomato.
8 medium-large mackerel, filleted, skinned and boned
Salt and freshly ground white pepper
20-30g fresh white breadcrumbs
2 spring onions, cleaned and finely chopped
Vegetable or corn oil for frying
4 soft hamburger buns
Ensure there are no bones in the mackerel fillets then finely chop them, before adding the spring onion and seasoning. Next, mould the mixture into four balls, then flatten into patties using a spatula or a palette knife. Then press the patties into the breadcrumbs on both sides and refrigerate them on a tray for an hour or so.
Heat the oil in a large, preferably non-stick frying pan and cook the patties for 2-3 minutes on each side, carefully turning them with a fish slice. Halve the buns, lightly toast them if desired, then place the patties between them – adding relish if you wish – and serve.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Migrant crisis: Greek soldier saved 20 people singlehandedly off Rhodes beach
- 2 Frank Lampard's face drops when Holly Willoughby introduces him as a 'Man City legend'
- 3 UK weather: Britain braced for snow as arctic air mass moves in
- 4 Aaron and Melissa Klein: Oregon anti-gay bakers ordered to pay $135,000 after refusing to make cake for same-sex wedding
- 5 General Election 2015: Stephen Hawking says he will vote Labour
iJobs Food & Drink
£15310 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An exciting opportunity has arisen for a...
£24000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Situated in the heart of Bradfo...
£18750 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This Hotel in Chadderton is a popular ch...
£Competitive (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Marketing and Co...