When you really have an excess of mackerel then this makes a
fantastic snack or main meal. It's also a great way to get the kids
eating fish: a whole mackerel might put them off, but you can tempt
them to try fish with the Big Mack.
This can be serve with a relish of your choice like corn or spiced tomato.
8 medium-large mackerel, filleted, skinned and boned
Salt and freshly ground white pepper
20-30g fresh white breadcrumbs
2 spring onions, cleaned and finely chopped
Vegetable or corn oil for frying
4 soft hamburger buns
Ensure there are no bones in the mackerel fillets then finely chop them, before adding the spring onion and seasoning. Next, mould the mixture into four balls, then flatten into patties using a spatula or a palette knife. Then press the patties into the breadcrumbs on both sides and refrigerate them on a tray for an hour or so.
Heat the oil in a large, preferably non-stick frying pan and cook the patties for 2-3 minutes on each side, carefully turning them with a fish slice. Halve the buns, lightly toast them if desired, then place the patties between them – adding relish if you wish – and serve.
Life & Style blogs
The 10 Best Scotch Whiskies
Resurgence of TB poses grave threat worldwide
Titanfall: First-person shooter lands with a boom on Xbox One, but will it save Microsoft's console?
GIF inventor Steve Wilhite says it should be pronounced 'jif'
'Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 plane found in Bermuda Triangle!' Viral Facebook links are profiting hackers
- 1 Is your name now 'banned' in Saudi Arabia?
- 2 Gender-specific books demean all our children. So the Independent on Sunday will no longer review anything marketed to exclude either sex
- 3 Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Did jetliner fly into area controlled by Taliban? Net widens after claims final satellite signal could have been sent from the ground
- 4 Nasa-funded study warns of ‘collapse of civilisation’ in coming decades
- 5 'Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 plane found in Bermuda Triangle!' Viral Facebook links are profiting hackers
iJobs Food & Drink
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Flight Centre Limited: Exceptional opportunity for ...
£23000 - £27000 per annum + Award-Winning Benefits: Flight Centre Limited: Exc...
£25000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits: Corporate Traveller: Opportunity for a B...
£20000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits: Corporate Traveller: We're looking for t...