Blackberry Bakewell pudding
Makes one 20cm pudding
Saturday 04 September 2010
A take on the famous Bakewell pudding – not to be confused with the Bakewell tart. This is rather like a French clafoutis and is best eaten not too long after being baked.
150g puff pastry
250g butter, melted
1 egg, beaten, plus 7 extra egg yolks
250g caster sugar
1tbsp ground almonds
Flaked almonds to serve
Ice-cream or thick cream to serve
For the blackberry jam
3tbsp caster sugar
First, make the blackberry jam. Put half of the blackberries in a thick-bottomed pan with the sugar and boil for about 10-15 minutes, stirring every so often until the blackberries have become more or less a purée. Add the rest of the blackberries and cook on a medium heat for about 5 minutes, then remove from the heat and leave to cool.
Preheat the oven to 180C/gas mark 4. Roll the pastry out to a thickness of about 1/3cm and prick it all over with a fork, then use it to line a 20 x 3cm deep, preferably sloping-sided, tart tin (I use an ovenproof non-stick frying pan which is as close to the original as I can get). Leave to rest for 1 hour in the fridge.
Meanwhile, mix the butter, egg and yolks with the sugar and almonds, and stir over a pan of simmering water for 3-4 minutes until it reaches a honey-like consistency.
Spoon the jam into the base, then pour the filling on top and scatter with the almonds. Bake for 45 minutes, or until the top is golden and the filling just set. If it's browning too much, turn the oven down halfway through.
Serve warm or at room temperature, with ice-cream or cream.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Apple has installed security backdoors on 600m iPhones and iPads, claims security researcher
- 2 Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Pro-Russian rebel 'admits to shooting down plane'
- 3 Louis van Gaal gets tough with Manchester United players, with Darren Fletcher and Luke Shaw berated in public and Phil Jones left looking bemused
- 4 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 5 Peaches Geldof inquest: Tragic final moments of socialite's life reveal she lied to husband about failed heroin tests
iJobs Food & Drink
£40000 - £60000 per annum + Pension, Healthcare : Deerfoot IT Resources Limite...
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: VB.NET a...
Unpaid voluntary role: Old Royal Naval College: To assist the Visitor Experien...
£45-£55k OTE £75k : Charter Selection: Major London International Fashion and ...