Blackberry Bakewell pudding
Makes one 20cm pudding
Saturday 04 September 2010
A take on the famous Bakewell pudding – not to be confused with the Bakewell tart. This is rather like a French clafoutis and is best eaten not too long after being baked.
150g puff pastry
250g butter, melted
1 egg, beaten, plus 7 extra egg yolks
250g caster sugar
1tbsp ground almonds
Flaked almonds to serve
Ice-cream or thick cream to serve
For the blackberry jam
3tbsp caster sugar
First, make the blackberry jam. Put half of the blackberries in a thick-bottomed pan with the sugar and boil for about 10-15 minutes, stirring every so often until the blackberries have become more or less a purée. Add the rest of the blackberries and cook on a medium heat for about 5 minutes, then remove from the heat and leave to cool.
Preheat the oven to 180C/gas mark 4. Roll the pastry out to a thickness of about 1/3cm and prick it all over with a fork, then use it to line a 20 x 3cm deep, preferably sloping-sided, tart tin (I use an ovenproof non-stick frying pan which is as close to the original as I can get). Leave to rest for 1 hour in the fridge.
Meanwhile, mix the butter, egg and yolks with the sugar and almonds, and stir over a pan of simmering water for 3-4 minutes until it reaches a honey-like consistency.
Spoon the jam into the base, then pour the filling on top and scatter with the almonds. Bake for 45 minutes, or until the top is golden and the filling just set. If it's browning too much, turn the oven down halfway through.
Serve warm or at room temperature, with ice-cream or cream.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Thailand deaths: Pair's bloodied bodies found naked on Koh Tao beach
- 2 Scottish independence: Ireland since 1919 is a lesson for Scotland in what a Yes vote means
- 3 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
- 4 John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time
- 5 Kanye West stops concert after two fans don't stand up - doesn't realise one is in wheelchair and the other disabled
iJobs Food & Drink
£18000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: ***EXCELLENT OPPORTUNITY FO...
Basic of £18,000 + commission, realistic OTE of £30-£50k : Ocean Holidays: Le...
£20 - 26k + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Marketing Executive / Member Services Ex...
£15,000 - £25,000: Recruitment Genius: A fantastic opportunity has arisen for ...