Blackberry bread and butter pudding
Saturday 02 October 2010
4 slices of bread or brioche, quartered
A good knob of butter, softened
3 whole eggs
6 egg yolks
60g caster sugar
350ml double cream
3-4tbsp melted marmalade, or apricot jam to glaze (or icing sugar to dust)
Double cream and blackberries (optional)
Preheat the oven to 180C/gas mark 5. Lightly butter an ovenproof dish or individual ceramic basins if you want to make smaller puddings. Place half the blackberries in the bottom of the dish or dishes. Butter the bread or brioche and arrange the slices in the dish, overlapping and covering the whole dish.
Bring the cream and milk to the boil. Mix the eggs, egg yolks and sugar together then pour over the milk and whisk until well mixed, then carefully pour over the bread.
To cook, you'll need a deep tray such as a roasting pan larger than the pudding dish or dishes. Stand the dish or dishes in the tray and pour in boiling water three-quarters of the way up the dish. Bake for 35-40 minutes until the custard has just set. Remove from the tray and leave to cool a little. Brush the melted jam or marmalade over; and serve with extra blackberries and cream, if desired.
Life & Style blogs
Miley Cyrus' VMA outfits spark copying controversy
Huawei Mate S and Huawei Watch: new products take on iPhone 6 Plus and Apple Watch
What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
Overly-controlling parents cause their children lifelong psychological damage, says study
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
- 1 More than 11,000 Icelanders offer to house Syrian refugees to help European crisis
- 2 President Obama leaves touching comment on Humans of New York photo from Iran
- 3 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 4 The Chinese city where men have 'three girlfriends because there are so many women'
- 5 German police forced to ask public to stop bringing donations for refugees arriving by train
iJobs Food & Drink
COMPETITIVE: Guru Careers: A Marketing / Digital Marketing Executive (CRM, Eve...
£8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: The role is likely to be 4on 4 off, days and ...
£25000 - £28000 per annum + 24 days holiday, bonus, etc.: Ashdown Group: Print...
£20000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: With offices in London, Manches...