Blackberry bread and butter pudding
Saturday 02 October 2010
4 slices of bread or brioche, quartered
A good knob of butter, softened
3 whole eggs
6 egg yolks
60g caster sugar
350ml double cream
3-4tbsp melted marmalade, or apricot jam to glaze (or icing sugar to dust)
Double cream and blackberries (optional)
Preheat the oven to 180C/gas mark 5. Lightly butter an ovenproof dish or individual ceramic basins if you want to make smaller puddings. Place half the blackberries in the bottom of the dish or dishes. Butter the bread or brioche and arrange the slices in the dish, overlapping and covering the whole dish.
Bring the cream and milk to the boil. Mix the eggs, egg yolks and sugar together then pour over the milk and whisk until well mixed, then carefully pour over the bread.
To cook, you'll need a deep tray such as a roasting pan larger than the pudding dish or dishes. Stand the dish or dishes in the tray and pour in boiling water three-quarters of the way up the dish. Bake for 35-40 minutes until the custard has just set. Remove from the tray and leave to cool a little. Brush the melted jam or marmalade over; and serve with extra blackberries and cream, if desired.
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Arsenal 1 Everton 1: Substitute equalises with six minutes to go
booksGeese, gorillas, grandads... and growing up
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- 5 Japan cracks down on leaks after scandal of Fukushima nuclear power plant
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Food & Drink
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Data Management & ...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Kaya Responsible Travel offer a variety of sp...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Increases in tourism, the introduction of new...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Volunteer with Kaya in Borneo and work on a p...