Broad bean, spider crab and chilli salad
Spider crab is a really under-used and undervalued shellfish. Most of what's landed along our coasts gets sent to Spain where it's as highly valued as lobster. In the Basque country, baked in its shell in the oven, spider crab is a prized dish. Here, it's regarded as a pest and much of it is crushed up and thrown back into the water.
Only occasionally do spider crabs get cooked and eaten and enjoyed as they should be. Do try – it's great-tasting meat.
200-250g broad beans
2 small spring onions, trimmed and finely chopped
1 large, mild red chilli, trimmed and finely chopped
The juice of 1 lemon
3-4tbsp olive oil
1tbsp chopped dill or fennel tops
150-200g white spider crab meat, cooked and freshly picked by the fishmonger
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Cook the broad beans in boiling salted water for 2-3 minutes until tender then drain and refresh under cold water. Remove the skin from any large broad beans but leave the small ones as they are. Toss them in a bowl with all the other ingredients except the crab and season to taste.
Arrange the mixture on serving dishes and scatter over the crab meat.
Life & Style blogs
Rugby players risk infectious skin condition by swapping bacteria on shared razors and towels
Jennifer Lawrence nude pictures leaked: Reddit removes 'The Fappening' board dedicated to sharing naked pictures of celebrities
Bulletproof Coffee: is adding butter to your coffee a good way to start the day?
Vogue under fire for 'Big Booty' article
With likes and selfies, the Yes Campaign takes the lead in the Scottish referendum on Facebook
- 1 Thailand deaths: Pair's bloodied bodies found naked on Koh Tao beach
- 2 Scottish independence: Ireland since 1919 is a lesson for Scotland in what a Yes vote means
- 3 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
- 4 John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time
- 5 Kanye West stops concert after two fans don't stand up - doesn't realise one is in wheelchair and the other disabled
iJobs Food & Drink
£18000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: ***EXCELLENT OPPORTUNITY FO...
Basic of £18,000 + commission, realistic OTE of £30-£50k : Ocean Holidays: Le...
£20 - 26k + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Marketing Executive / Member Services Ex...
£15,000 - £25,000: Recruitment Genius: A fantastic opportunity has arisen for ...