Buttermilk pudding with Tayberries
Saturday 31 July 2010
This dessert is rather similar to an Italian panna cotta. In the UK we don't tend to use buttermilk that much, although in Ireland it is a fairly commonly used ingredient. You can get hold of it in good supermarkets and dairy shops; or you can just use Jersey milk. You can use different fruits as they come into season or just one fruit as I have done so here.
4 sheets of leaf gelatine
50g caster sugar
250ml double cream
100ml good quality elderflower cordial
2tbsp caster sugar
Soak the gelatine in a bowl of cold water for a few minutes until soft, then squeeze out the excess water. Bring 100ml of the buttermilk to the boil with the sugar; then remove from the heat and stir in the gelatine until dissolved. Leave to cool then whisk into the cream, the rest of the buttermilk and the elderflower cordial. Pour into shallow moulds; leave to set in the fridge for 2-3 hours or overnight.
Meanwhile, put 60g of the Tayberries in a saucepan with the sugar on a low heat, simmer for 3-4 minutes or until the Tayberries have gone to a mush. Strain through a sieve, pushing the Tayberries through with the back of a spoon and leave the syrup to cool.
To serve, dip the pudding moulds quickly in and out of hot water, then turn out onto serving plates. Scatter the rest of the Tayberries around the puddings; spoon around the syrup.
Diving in at the deep end is no excuse for shirking the style stakes
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Stephen Fry ‘criticises Operation Yewtree in dinner party rant’ calling for tougher laws to deter false sex abuse allegations
- 2 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 3 Israel-Gaza conflict: ‘Sderot cinema’ image shows Israelis with popcorn and chairs 'cheering as missiles strike Palestinian targets'
- 4 War is war: Why I stand with Israel
- 5 Blackest is the new black: Scientists have developed a material so dark that you can't see it...
iJobs Food & Drink
£45-£55k OTE £75k : Charter Selection: Major London International Fashion and ...
Voluntary, reasonable expenses reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: Are you keen on...
£33000 - £45000 per annum + 8% Bonus, pension: Deerfoot IT Resources Limited: ...
£30K- £40K pa + Commision £10K + Benefits: Charter Selection: Rapidly expandin...