Chanterelles on toast
Sunday 14 October 2012
There are mushrooms on toast, then there are wild mushrooms on toast… I've been pretty extravagant here and used a combination of golden chanterelles and the more expensive grey variety – the former lend beauty and texture, but for that punchy earthiness, the skinny grey ones are unbeatable.
Small bunch flat-leaf parsley, leaves picked and finely chopped
Zest 1 lemon, plus squeeze of juice
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tbsp light-flavoured oil, plus extra for frying
300g/10oz chanterelles (golden and grey), cleaned with a soft brush
4 thick slices sourdough bread
4 duck eggs
Start by making a gremolata by mixing the parsley, lemon zest and juice and crushed garlic. Add some seasoning then set aside. Toast your sourdough.
Now heat a large, heavy-bottomed frying pan over a high heat, add the butter and oil and, once melted, throw in the mushrooms and sauté quickly until they soften and turn golden. Remove from the heat and add some seasoning. Keep warm.
Heat a good glug of oil in a large pan. When hot, crack in the eggs and cook to your liking. Spoon the mushrooms over the toasted bread, top with the eggs and finish with a sprinkling of gremolata.
Liam Neeson's Downton dreams
Thriller is set in the secret world of British espionage
Bomber jacket worn by Mary Berry sells out within an hour
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Thailand beach murders: Thai PM suggests 'attractive' female tourists cannot expect to be safe wearing bikinis
- 2 Scottish independence: What you shouldn't tweet about if you want to avoid jail today
- 3 Scottish independence: Five reasons Salmond is secretly hoping for a 'No' vote
- 4 Isis plan to 'behead random member of the public' in Sydney thwarted by Australian police
- 5 Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
iJobs Food & Drink
£18000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: ***EXCELLENT OPPORTUNITY FO...
Basic of £18,000 + commission, realistic OTE of £30-£50k : Ocean Holidays: Le...
£20 - 26k + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Marketing Executive / Member Services Ex...
£15,000 - £25,000: Recruitment Genius: A fantastic opportunity has arisen for ...