Cheese recipes - Shropshire Blue, Orange and Spinach Salad
Monday 27 September 2010
Packed with goodness, this recipe is a great example of how cheese can be part of a balanced diet. There is calcium in the cheese and plenty of Vitamin C in the oranges and spinach too.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 medium red onion, very finely sliced
2 large oranges
200g (7oz) baby spinach
85g bag watercress
225g (8oz) Shropshire Blue cheese, cut into chunks
50g (2oz) blanched almonds
1. In a large salad bowl, mix together the olive oil and vinegar. Season with salt and black pepper. Add the red onion and stir well.
2. Using a serrated knife, peel the oranges, removing all the pith. Do this over the salad bowl so that you catch all the drops of orange juice. Segment the oranges with the knife to remove all the membrane, adding them to the bowl with the juice.
3. Put the spinach and watercress into the salad bowl. Toss together to coat in the dressing. Add the chunks of Shropshire Blue cheese.
4. Toast the almonds, either under the grill or in a heavy-based frying pan, until they begin to brown lightly. Tip onto the salad whilst hot and serve immediately.
Cook's tip: Blue Stilton or White Cheshire can be used as alternatives to the Shropshire Blue used in this recipe.
Life & Style blogs
McDonald’s launches clothing line using Big Mac prints
Facebook to test 747-sized drones that will beam broadband to the entire world
The distress of some Zayn Malik fans is real, and they need support, say experts
Chair-bound workers 'should move around every hour to reduce physical and mental health risks'
American Apparel gets another ad banned by advertising watchdog for sexualising children
- 1 Germanwings crash: Police make 'significant discovery' at home of co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 2 Germanwings captain Patrick Sondenheimer tried to break into locked cockpit door 'with an axe' as plane was descending
- 3 Zayn Malik already working on solo material, just days after quitting One Direction
- 4 The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
- 5 #FreeTheNipple: Women in Iceland bare breasts in solidarity with trolled student
iJobs Food & Drink
£24,000 pa, plus benefits: SFL Group: Looking for a hard-working and self-moti...
£16000 - £17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This rapidly expanding travel c...
£24000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Do you have a strong record of ...
£24000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: You will have demonstrable unde...