Cheese recipes - Shropshire Blue, Orange and Spinach Salad
Monday 27 September 2010
Packed with goodness, this recipe is a great example of how cheese can be part of a balanced diet. There is calcium in the cheese and plenty of Vitamin C in the oranges and spinach too.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 medium red onion, very finely sliced
2 large oranges
200g (7oz) baby spinach
85g bag watercress
225g (8oz) Shropshire Blue cheese, cut into chunks
50g (2oz) blanched almonds
1. In a large salad bowl, mix together the olive oil and vinegar. Season with salt and black pepper. Add the red onion and stir well.
2. Using a serrated knife, peel the oranges, removing all the pith. Do this over the salad bowl so that you catch all the drops of orange juice. Segment the oranges with the knife to remove all the membrane, adding them to the bowl with the juice.
3. Put the spinach and watercress into the salad bowl. Toss together to coat in the dressing. Add the chunks of Shropshire Blue cheese.
4. Toast the almonds, either under the grill or in a heavy-based frying pan, until they begin to brown lightly. Tip onto the salad whilst hot and serve immediately.
Cook's tip: Blue Stilton or White Cheshire can be used as alternatives to the Shropshire Blue used in this recipe.
peopleContenders for Time magazine's Person of the Year are a mixture of the good, the bad and the holy
newsAs the world remembers Mandela the hero, the prison where he spent 27 years seems all the more brutal
tvSteven Moffat reveals the actor was dying to take on the role of the Time Lord and says he is excited to see what he will do with the character
sportBayern Munich 2 Manchester City 3: City come from two down to beat reigning European Champions
arts + ents... and a chance to paint Booker Prize winning author Hilary Mantel
danceUnder Tamara Rojo's inspired direction, it seems possible that it could challenge the dominance of the Royal Ballet. We meet some established names and rising stars
travelDiscover Uruguay's jet-set beach resort, an Atlantic enclave with plenty of art and culture to explore on the side
Life & Style blogs
Low-cost metal 3D printer could be the next step in home manufacturing revolution
$183,000 fine for man who joined Anonymous attack for 'one minute'
People who drink alcohol outlive those who abstain, study shows
Exercise most effective lifestyle choice for preventing dementia, researchers say
GTA 5 update: Content Creator released, online heists and story mode updates coming soon
- 1 It’s shameful that our universities have accepted gender segregation under pressure from the most oppressive religious fanatics
- 2 Sir Ian McKellen hits back at Damian Lewis' 'fruity actor' claims
- 3 Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
- 4 Selfie at funeral: Cameron squeezes in on Obama snap at Mandela memorial
- 5 Is Facebook making us forget? Study shows that taking pictures ruin memories
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Food & Drink
£23000 - £27000 per annum + £18K & Uncapped Commission & Benefits: Flight Cent...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Flight Centre Limited: Exceptional opportunity for ...
£23000 - £27000 per annum + Award-Winning Benefits: Round The World Experts: L...
£23000 - £27000 per annum + (£16K Base + Uncapped Commission): Flight Centre L...