Cheese recipes - Shropshire Blue, Orange and Spinach Salad
Monday 27 September 2010
Packed with goodness, this recipe is a great example of how cheese can be part of a balanced diet. There is calcium in the cheese and plenty of Vitamin C in the oranges and spinach too.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 medium red onion, very finely sliced
2 large oranges
200g (7oz) baby spinach
85g bag watercress
225g (8oz) Shropshire Blue cheese, cut into chunks
50g (2oz) blanched almonds
1. In a large salad bowl, mix together the olive oil and vinegar. Season with salt and black pepper. Add the red onion and stir well.
2. Using a serrated knife, peel the oranges, removing all the pith. Do this over the salad bowl so that you catch all the drops of orange juice. Segment the oranges with the knife to remove all the membrane, adding them to the bowl with the juice.
3. Put the spinach and watercress into the salad bowl. Toss together to coat in the dressing. Add the chunks of Shropshire Blue cheese.
4. Toast the almonds, either under the grill or in a heavy-based frying pan, until they begin to brown lightly. Tip onto the salad whilst hot and serve immediately.
Cook's tip: Blue Stilton or White Cheshire can be used as alternatives to the Shropshire Blue used in this recipe.
Life & Style blogs
Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
Watch teenager Collin Burns break the Rubik's Cube world record by solving puzzle in just 5.25 seconds
The confessions of men who ordered mail-order brides
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
‘My children can’t sleep, crying for daddy:’ How spouse immigration rules affect British families
- 1 Migrant crisis: Greek soldier saved 20 people singlehandedly off Rhodes beach
- 2 The confessions of men who ordered mail-order brides
- 3 UK weather: Britain braced for snow as arctic air mass moves in
- 4 Aaron and Melissa Klein: Oregon anti-gay bakers ordered to pay $135,000 after refusing to make cake for same-sex wedding
- 5 'Isis' schoolgirls: Missing British teenager tweets picture of her Syrian takeaway
iJobs Food & Drink
£15310 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An exciting opportunity has arisen for a...
£24000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Situated in the heart of Bradfo...
£18750 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This Hotel in Chadderton is a popular ch...
£Competitive (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Marketing and Co...