Chicken and mushroom pie
Tuesday 16 March 2010
Chicken and mushroom pie
A pie like this would once have been a regular midweek meal at home, and you wouldn’t see it on restaurant menus. On our menu, though, it is a perennial hit. The filling is flavoursome and rich, with a little touch of dried porcini giving a really deep savouriness.
2 tsp olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
100g celery, diced
200g leeks, diced
2 garlic cloves, chopped
10g fresh tarragon sprigs, leaves picked and chopped
700g skinless chicken thigh meat, cut in 4–5cm chunks
1 heaped tbsp dried porcini
300ml chicken stock (p202)
100ml white wine
25g plain white flour
200ml double cream
1 heaped tbsp dijon mustard
200g button mushrooms, halved
salt and white pepper
700g puff pastry
1 egg, beaten
1. Heat the oil and 25g of the butter in a large, heavy-bottomed pan. Sweat the onion, celery and half the leeks for about 10 minutes or until soft and translucent. 2. Add the garlic, tarragon, chicken, dried porcini, stock, wine and ½ teaspoon salt. Cover and cook on a low heat for 30–45 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. 3. Pour into a sieve set over a bowl, to strain the cooking liquid. Reserve the chicken mixture. 4. Melt the remaining 20g butter in a clean pan. Whisk in the flour and cook for 2–3 minutes until bubbling. Gradually whisk in the cooking liquid and bring to a simmer. Whisk in the cream and mustard and check the seasoning. Remove from the heat. 5. Add the chicken mixture, mushrooms and remaining leeks to the sauce and mix together. Allow to cool completely. 6. Assemble and bake the pie (see Spicy mutton pie, p90, steps 5–8). Serve hot.
Watch a video demonstration from Canteen above.
Canteen's ' Best British Food', published by Ebury , is out now.
Video: It is the type of thing no parent wants to hear
Life & Style blogs
Should doctors and patients learn to plan humane, happier endings rather than trying to prolong life?
http://www.nyxcosmetics.co.uk/" width="88" height="52" />Black Friday: Best beauty deals
New generation of hi-tech planes lead race to resurrect supersonic air travel
Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 1 Exodus Gods and Kings casting controversy: Ridley Scott would never cast 'Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such' in lead role
- 2 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
- 3 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
- 4 Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries
- 5 Michael Buerk wishes he killed Jimmy Savile when he had the chance - by pushing him overboard a cruise ship
iJobs Food & Drink
£15000 - £16800 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Tyre Technician / Mechanic is...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: Due to expansion the Largest Independent Motor...
£40000 - £60000 per annum + £100,000 OTE: h2 Recruit Ltd: Birmingham, Derby, L...
£55000 - £65000 per annum: Investigo: My client, a global leader in their fiel...