Chicken and mushroom pie
Tuesday 16 March 2010
Chicken and mushroom pie
A pie like this would once have been a regular midweek meal at home, and you wouldn’t see it on restaurant menus. On our menu, though, it is a perennial hit. The filling is flavoursome and rich, with a little touch of dried porcini giving a really deep savouriness.
2 tsp olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
100g celery, diced
200g leeks, diced
2 garlic cloves, chopped
10g fresh tarragon sprigs, leaves picked and chopped
700g skinless chicken thigh meat, cut in 4–5cm chunks
1 heaped tbsp dried porcini
300ml chicken stock (p202)
100ml white wine
25g plain white flour
200ml double cream
1 heaped tbsp dijon mustard
200g button mushrooms, halved
salt and white pepper
700g puff pastry
1 egg, beaten
1. Heat the oil and 25g of the butter in a large, heavy-bottomed pan. Sweat the onion, celery and half the leeks for about 10 minutes or until soft and translucent. 2. Add the garlic, tarragon, chicken, dried porcini, stock, wine and ½ teaspoon salt. Cover and cook on a low heat for 30–45 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. 3. Pour into a sieve set over a bowl, to strain the cooking liquid. Reserve the chicken mixture. 4. Melt the remaining 20g butter in a clean pan. Whisk in the flour and cook for 2–3 minutes until bubbling. Gradually whisk in the cooking liquid and bring to a simmer. Whisk in the cream and mustard and check the seasoning. Remove from the heat. 5. Add the chicken mixture, mushrooms and remaining leeks to the sauce and mix together. Allow to cool completely. 6. Assemble and bake the pie (see Spicy mutton pie, p90, steps 5–8). Serve hot.
Watch a video demonstration from Canteen above.
Canteen's ' Best British Food', published by Ebury , is out now.
Newcastle winger Jonas Gutierrez reveals he has testicular cancer - and is losing his trademark long hair as a result
Actors star in Woody Allen's 'Magic in the Moonlight'
Human faces unique 'because we don't recognise each other by smell'
Man's attempt to avoid being impounded heavily criticised
Life & Style blogs
Victoria's Secret models star in new nude Russell James book
iPhone 6 review: bigger, thinner, faster, brighter - Apple proves you can make the best better
iPhone 6 Plus review: more like a small iPad that makes calls - but perfect for some
Jennifer Lawrence nude pictures leaked: Reddit removes 'The Fappening' board dedicated to sharing naked pictures of celebrities
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 1 Scottish independence: Ireland since 1919 is a lesson for Scotland in what a Yes vote means
- 2 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 3 Say yes to 'no-poo': It's been three years since I stopped washing my hair
- 4 Grandmas keep accidentally tagging themselves as Grandmaster Flash on Facebook
- 5 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
iJobs Food & Drink
£18000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: ***EXCELLENT OPPORTUNITY FO...
Basic of £18,000 + commission, realistic OTE of £30-£50k : Ocean Holidays: Le...
£20 - 26k + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Marketing Executive / Member Services Ex...
£15,000 - £25,000: Recruitment Genius: A fantastic opportunity has arisen for ...