Sunday 27 June 2010
This purée is only really good if all the flavours are strong and clear. It should taste vibrant, so be prepared to adjust the flavours as necessary. Although I most often serve it as part of the mezze, it also works really well with grilled or roast lamb.
250g/8oz cooked chickpeas
2 garlic cloves, peeled
1 large red chilli
Bunch of coriander, washed
Bunch of mint, leaves only
Juice of 1 lemon, or to taste
1 tbsp tahini paste
2 tbsp Greek-style yoghurt
11/2 tsp roasted spice mix
50ml/2fl oz extra-virgin olive oil
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Drain the chickpeas (rinse as well if using canned). Place in a blender or food processor with the garlic and chilli. Chop the coriander roots and stems and add to the blender with the rest of the ingredients and blend to a purée (don't over-process).
Taste and adjust the seasoning, perhaps adding more lemon and a little more salt than you might expect. Salt definitely helps bring all the flavours together.
Life & Style blogs
GTA 5 Online DLC: San Andreas Flight School update brings 16-seater jet plane and more
What is ALS and the Ice Bucket Challenge?
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
'Long Live the Nazis' spaghetti dish sold in Taiwan renamed after backlash
Common antibiotic linked to increased risk of heart disease
- 1 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 3 Kajieme Powell: Missouri police release video footage of second man killed by officers
- 4 Paul Scholes: Manchester United need five experienced players who can turn round a desperate situation
- 5 James Foley 'beheading': Met police warn public watching murder video could be criminal offence
iJobs Food & Drink
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...
£17K OTE £30K: Charter Selection: Highly successful and innovative specialist...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Working with an exciting ...
£23,000: Sauce Recruitment: A global leader in sports and entertainment is now...