Christmas spice biscuits
Saturday 13 December 2008
Makes about 40
360g plain flour
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
1tsp ground ginger
120g unsalted butter, softened
180g light Muscadavo sugar
1 egg (at room temperature) beaten
4tbsp golden syrup
For the icing
2 egg whites
300-400g icing sugar
¼-tsp red food colouring
Silver balls to decorate
Preheat the oven to 175C/gas mark 4. Sift the plain flour on to a sheet of greaseproof paper with the bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon. Cream the butter and sugar in a bowl with a wooden spoon for 4-5 minutes until fluffy. Slowly add the egg until well mixed then add the golden syrup. Fold in the flour mixture; mix to a smooth dough.
Dust a work surface with flour then dust your rolling pin with flour. Roll out the mixture to about 1cm thickness and cut out using a 4cm round cutter; keep putting the off-cuts back into a ball to re-roll so you get more biscuits out of it (sprinkle with water if it dries out).
Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes; while still soft, make a hole near the edge of the biscuits with a skewer to allow you to thread a ribbon through them; cool. Now make the icing: mix the egg whites with enough icing sugar to make a firm but pipe-able icing. Divide the mixture in two then stir in the red colour paste to achieve the desirable colour. Spoon the icing into two separate piping bags, and decorate the cooled biscuits with stars, hearts and any other patterns that take your fancy. Allow to dry before threading with ribbon and hanging on the tree.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
- 2 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
- 4 Alex Salmond: 'The rocks would melt with the sun before I'd ever set foot in the House of Lords'
- 5 Ice Bucket Challenge: US firefighter Tony Grider dies after participating in charity craze near power lines
iJobs Food & Drink
£18000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: ***EXCELLENT OPPORTUNITY FO...
Basic of £18,000 + commission, realistic OTE of £30-£50k : Ocean Holidays: Le...
£20 - 26k + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Marketing Executive / Member Services Ex...
£15,000 - £25,000: Recruitment Genius: A fantastic opportunity has arisen for ...