Christmas spice biscuits
Saturday 13 December 2008
Makes about 40
360g plain flour
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
1tsp ground ginger
120g unsalted butter, softened
180g light Muscadavo sugar
1 egg (at room temperature) beaten
4tbsp golden syrup
For the icing
2 egg whites
300-400g icing sugar
¼-tsp red food colouring
Silver balls to decorate
Preheat the oven to 175C/gas mark 4. Sift the plain flour on to a sheet of greaseproof paper with the bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon. Cream the butter and sugar in a bowl with a wooden spoon for 4-5 minutes until fluffy. Slowly add the egg until well mixed then add the golden syrup. Fold in the flour mixture; mix to a smooth dough.
Dust a work surface with flour then dust your rolling pin with flour. Roll out the mixture to about 1cm thickness and cut out using a 4cm round cutter; keep putting the off-cuts back into a ball to re-roll so you get more biscuits out of it (sprinkle with water if it dries out).
Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes; while still soft, make a hole near the edge of the biscuits with a skewer to allow you to thread a ribbon through them; cool. Now make the icing: mix the egg whites with enough icing sugar to make a firm but pipe-able icing. Divide the mixture in two then stir in the red colour paste to achieve the desirable colour. Spoon the icing into two separate piping bags, and decorate the cooled biscuits with stars, hearts and any other patterns that take your fancy. Allow to dry before threading with ribbon and hanging on the tree.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 If I were Prime Minister: I'd give tax cuts to the rich, keep Trident, and get my football team wrong
- 2 Top Gear: Jodie Kidd, Philip Glenister and Guy Martin 'in advanced talks' to join show
- 3 General Election 2015: 14-year-old boy asks Nick Clegg – 'can you kill Katie Hopkins?'
- 4 University student in court for allegedly covering housemates' food in window cleaner and spit
- 5 Garland shooting: Isis claims attack on Prophet Mohamed cartoon contest in Texas as its first action on US soil
iJobs Food & Drink
£32K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Dining Room Head Chef to work for one of ...
£27K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Pastry Sous Chef / Experienced Pastry Che...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A growing business that has been ope...
£24800 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: As one of London's leading Muse...