Punches traditionally contain alcohol, spice, citrus, water or tea and sugar. As a rule of thumb refer to an old rhyme that says "one sour, two sweet, three strong and four weak."
Thursday 31 December 2009
1 part Beefeater gin
2 parts Somerset cider brandy
1 part fresh lemon juice
1 part spiced syrup (recipe below)
1 part clementine and lemon sherbet (below)
4 parts Pressed Apple Juice
Mix all the above in any quantity and chill. Garnish with wheels of lemon and clementine.
For the spiced syrup:
Roast a large stick of cinnamon, 6 cloves, 6 allspice, 4 green cardamoms and 1 star anise in a pan. When they start releasing their essential oils, add 250ml of boiling water, 500g of castor sugar and 2cm of grated fresh ginger. Simmer for 10 mins and strain.
For the sherbet:
Grind the grated zest of 1 lemon and 1 clementine with 5 tblsp of caster sugar in a pestle and mortar. Add the lemon and clementine juice and heat until the sugar dissolves. Strain.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Liam Gallagher brands Kanye West 'utter s**t' during BRIT Awards performance
- 2 Isis burns thousands of books and rare manuscripts from Mosul's libraries
- 3 People who sleep more than eight hours are more likely to have a stroke, research shows
- 4 Kanye West climbs on table at Nando's to crowd chants of 'Yeezus' before Brit Awards 2015 performance of 'All Day'
- 5 New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
iJobs Food & Drink
£26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The post holder is a key member of the V...
£18000 - £28800 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Vehicle Breakdown Recovery Driv...
£15000 - £19200 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Processing Partner is require...
£34000 - £37000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This specialist travel agent ba...