Punches traditionally contain alcohol, spice, citrus, water or tea and sugar. As a rule of thumb refer to an old rhyme that says "one sour, two sweet, three strong and four weak."
Thursday 31 December 2009
1 part Beefeater gin
2 parts Somerset cider brandy
1 part fresh lemon juice
1 part spiced syrup (recipe below)
1 part clementine and lemon sherbet (below)
4 parts Pressed Apple Juice
Mix all the above in any quantity and chill. Garnish with wheels of lemon and clementine.
For the spiced syrup:
Roast a large stick of cinnamon, 6 cloves, 6 allspice, 4 green cardamoms and 1 star anise in a pan. When they start releasing their essential oils, add 250ml of boiling water, 500g of castor sugar and 2cm of grated fresh ginger. Simmer for 10 mins and strain.
For the sherbet:
Grind the grated zest of 1 lemon and 1 clementine with 5 tblsp of caster sugar in a pestle and mortar. Add the lemon and clementine juice and heat until the sugar dissolves. Strain.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Norwich paedophile ring: Woman at centre of gang who made children 'sexual play things' guilty of 23 offences
- 2 Topshop pulls 'ridiculously skinny' mannequins after being shamed by customer on Facebook
- 3 Ralkina Jones: 37-year-old black woman found dead in police custody
- 4 Black and ethnic minority people twice as likely to be hit by Tory cuts than white people, report finds
- 5 Walter Palmer: American dentist revealed as killer of Cecil the lion in Zimbabwe
iJobs Food & Drink
£12500 - £24500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Drivers wanted for a family run...
£40000 - £45000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A successful leisure company is seek...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: The positions above are available either part ...
£25K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Fitness Centre Supervisor / Duty Manager ...