Coconut and apricot slice
Sunday 27 January 2013
These are a favourite with the kids – as their attention span can be quite short, I'll often bake the first layer on my own then call them over to help with the topping.
150g/5oz butter, melted, plus extra for greasing
150g/5oz golden caster sugar
100g/3½oz dessicated coconut
100g/3½oz self-raising flour
1 egg, lightly beaten
150g/5oz ready to eat dried apricots, roughly chopped
For the topping
150g/5oz dessicated coconut
75g/3oz golden caster sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
3 tbsp apricot jam
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas4. Grease and line a 15cm x 20cm baking tray with parchment paper, leaving a little overhang.
Mix the melted butter, sugar, coconut, flour and egg. Spoon into the tin and spread the mixture out into an even layer. Dot the chopped apricots over the top. Bake for 15 minutes.
For the topping, mix the coconut, sugar and egg until combined. Remove the slice from the oven, spread over the jam and use 2 spoons to spread out the coconut mixture in a rough, even layer.
Return to the oven and cook for a further 20 minutes. Allow to cool completely in the tin before cutting into slices.
Life & Style blogs
International Kissing Day: Why it feels good
World learns of app that shows you who unfriended you on Facebook, app promptly crashes
People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
Kristen Stewart opens star-studded Chanel show with Julianne Moore, Rita Ora and Lily Collins on the runway
- 1 Florida man sentenced to two-and-a-half years for having sex on the beach in front of a child
- 2 Autistic teenager beaten up by bullies makes them watch 20-minute video about autism
- 3 Nick Kyrgios calls former Olympian Dawn Fraser a 'blatant racist' after she tells Wimbledon star to 'go back where their parents came from'
- 4 World learns of app that shows you who unfriended you on Facebook, app promptly crashes
- 5 Chris Moyles reportedly set to make radio comeback with new breakfast show on XFM
iJobs Food & Drink
£7 per hour: Recruitment Genius: To work within the Visitor Experience Departm...
£15000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: To support their continued grow...
£33000 - £38000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A global player and world leade...
£18000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: If you are friendly, sociable, ...