Coconut rice pudding
Saturday 24 April 2010
A can of coconut milk imparts the most delicious flavour to a simple rice pudding. You can garnish this pudding with toasted or desiccated coconut, or even add some diced-up ripe mango or papaya.
60g pudding rice
80g caster sugar
1 x 400ml can coconut milk
2-3tbsp desiccated or shaved coconut
Put the rice, two-thirds of the milk and the sugar in a thick-bottomed saucepan, bring to the boil and simmer gently (preferably on a simmer plate) for about 20-25 minutes – stirring every so often and adding more milk if the rice is getting dry – until the rice is tender.
Add half of the coconut milk and continue simmering for a few minutes, then remove from the heat. Add the rest of the coconut milk and stir every so often until the rice is cool. The rice should be a fairly creamy consistency; if not, you can adjust it with a little more milk.
Meanwhile, toast the coconut under the grill until golden. Serve the rice with the toasted or desiccated coconut (and the diced fruit, if desired) scattered over it.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let's see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Game of Thrones author George RR Martin says 'f*** you' to fans who fear he will die before finishing Westeros saga
- 3 Belgium fan Axelle Despiegelaere lands L'Oreal campaign after World Cup viral photo
- 4 Britney Spears sings 'Alien' without Auto-Tune in embarrassing leaked audio clip
- 5 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
iJobs Food & Drink
£45-£55k OTE £75k : Charter Selection: Major London International Fashion and ...
Voluntary, reasonable expenses reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: Are you keen on...
£33000 - £45000 per annum + 8% Bonus, pension: Deerfoot IT Resources Limited: ...
£30K- £40K pa + Commision £10K + Benefits: Charter Selection: Rapidly expandin...