Makes 25 small cakes
Sunday 05 April 2009
For the sponge
400g/13oz softened, unsalted butter
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
400g/13oz caster sugar
400g/13oz self-raising flour
For the filling
150ml/5fl oz double cream
A dollop of jam of your choice per cake
Icing sugar, for dusting
Heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas4. Place the butter, vanilla extract and sugar into a mixing bowl and beat until light and fluffy. Beat the eggs lightly in a separate bowl and slowly pour into the butter mix. If the mixture begins to curdle, simply add a little of the flour. Once the eggs and sugar have been mixed well, slowly fold in the flour a little at a time.
Place about 25 paper cupcake cases on a baking tray and fill halfway with the sponge mixture (it will rise). Place in the hot oven and bake for 12-15 minutes. Test the sponge is cooked by inserting a small sharp knife into one of the cakes. It should come out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack.
For the filling, whip the cream. Using a sharp knife, remove a small circle of sponge from the top of the cakes. Slice the circle in half and fill the hole with a small spoonful of jam and cream. Place the wings on top and dust generously with the icing sugar.
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
Board creates magnetic field to achieve lift
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Salisbury ranked seventh-best city in the world to visit in Lonely Planet’s Best in Travel 2015
- 2 Disney announces new female-led film Moana
- 3 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
iJobs Food & Drink
£30 - 50k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a SCRUM Master to joi...
£13,520: Recruitment Genius: As this role can be customer facing at times, the...
£50000 - £60000 per annum: Sauce Recruitment: A successful entertainment, even...
£25000 - £30000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: A fantastic opportunity h...