Finely sliced raw artichokes with mint, olive oil and Parmesan
Sunday 03 May 2009
Raw artichokes have a lovely, deliciously clean but nutty taste. The mint adds a fresh top-note here, while the Parmesan's saltiness brings the flavours together.
Allow one artichoke per person
Sea salt and black pepper
40ml/11/2fl oz extra-virgin olive oil
The juice of one lemon
One bunch of mint, leaves only, finely sliced
50g/2oz Parmesan, sliced into fine slivers
Prepare the artichokes by rinsing and gently patting dry. Using a sharp knife, trim off the tough outer leaves.
Slice the tops off and, using a teaspoon, scoop out the choke (inner bristles). Place in acidulated water (cold water with a slice of lemon in it) to prevent discolouring if you are not serving immediately.
When ready to serve the salad, remove the artichokes from the water and dry on a clean dish cloth. Slice lengthwise as finely as possible.
Arrange on a plate and season with salt and a little black pepper.
Drizzle over the olive oil, squeeze over the lemon juice and finish by scattering over the mint and Parmesan. Serve at once.
Life & Style blogs
World learns of app that shows you who unfriended you on Facebook, app promptly crashes
People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
Kristen Stewart opens star-studded Chanel show with Julianne Moore, Rita Ora and Lily Collins on the runway
You can now get verified on Tinder
- 1 Man who was struck and killed by lightning in Brecon Beacons 'was carrying a selfie stick'
- 2 Lisa Randolph-Gant: Queen Elsa cake maker says she will carry on baking and will not let people 'break her spirit'
- 3 Tube strike: This pedestrian-friendly map tells you the time it takes to walk between stations
- 4 Pamplona Running of the Bulls 2015: Three men gored and 10 hospitalised on first day of festival
- 5 Sarah Jessica Parker explains why she is not a feminist: 'It's not just about women now'
iJobs Food & Drink
£7 per hour: Recruitment Genius: To work within the Visitor Experience Departm...
£15000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: To support their continued grow...
£33000 - £38000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A global player and world leade...
£18000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: If you are friendly, sociable, ...