Focaccia with cherries, honey and almonds
Whether savoury or sweet, focaccia is a simple bread to knock up at home. This version is delicious simply served with cheese – just leave it on the table for your guests to help themselves to. This recipe makes one large rectangular piece or about three rounds.
500g strong white bread flour
1x7g sachet dried yeast
350ml lukewarm water
200g clear honey
40-50 cherries, stoned
60g flaked almonds
In a food mixer with the dough hook, mix the flour, yeast, salt, water and a third of the honey on the lowest speed for 3-4 minutes to form an elastic dough.
Remove the dough hook from the machine, cover the bowl with clingfilm and leave to prove in a warm place for a few hours until it has doubled in size. Remove from the bowl and transfer to a lightly-floured work surface and knock it back to its original size.
Preheat the oven to 200C/gas mark 6.
Lightly oil a baking tray or, better still, use a non-stick one. Roll and stretch the dough into a rectangle, oval or circle to about 1-2cm thick.
Cover with a tea towel and leave to rise again for about an hour or so. Prod some holes randomly all over the dough with your fingers and insert the cherries. Scatter with the almonds and drizzle with half the remaining honey.
Bake for 15 minutes, then drizzle over the rest of the honey and bake for a further 15-20 minutes until golden. Serve warm.
X Factor judge will appear in court later this month
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 Council bans use of word ‘Commie’ – but ‘fascist’ and ‘Nazi’ are fine
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Food & Drink
£2000 - £25500 per annum + Benefits: Flight Centre Limited: We are seeking an ...
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: VB.NET a...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Data Management & ...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Kaya Responsible Travel offer a variety of sp...