Sunday 20 April 2008
It's best to use frozen octopus, as the icicles break down its flesh during freezing, which makes it more tender.
3 tentacles weighing 11/2kg/3lb in total, frozen, thawed and drained
19 waxy potatoes, such as Roseval
A good pinch of sea salt
A drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil
2tbsp flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1tsp sweet Spanish paprika
Bring a large pot of well-salted water to boil. Wash the octopus under cold running water. When the water is boiling rapidly, plunge the octopus in for 15 seconds, then remove. Allow the water to reboil and repeat this four times, allowing the water to boil between each immersion. On the last plunge, turn the heat down to barely a simmer and leave the octopus to cook for 40 minutes, or until tender. Remove the octopus from the pan and allow to cool.
Bring the water back to the boil. Add the potatoes and cook for 30 minutes, or until tender. Remove from the pan and peel once cool enough to handle.
Using a sharp knife, slice the octopus tentacles and potatoes into 1cm slices. Arrange the potatoes on a serving plate and cover with the octopus. Sprinkle with the sea salt, drizzle generously with the olive oil and finish with the parsley and sweet paprika. Serve immediately. '
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Scottish referendum: So how about the English now being given a chance to split from England?
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 London council removes 'unacceptable' Stamford Hill posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 4 The response to my Pizza Express review has been overwhelming, and taught me a lot about journalism
- 5 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned into a PR disaster
iJobs Food & Drink
£18000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: ***EXCELLENT OPPORTUNITY FO...
Basic of £18,000 + commission, realistic OTE of £30-£50k : Ocean Holidays: Le...
£20 - 26k + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Marketing Executive / Member Services Ex...
£15,000 - £25,000: Recruitment Genius: A fantastic opportunity has arisen for ...