Sunday 20 April 2008
It's best to use frozen octopus, as the icicles break down its flesh during freezing, which makes it more tender.
3 tentacles weighing 11/2kg/3lb in total, frozen, thawed and drained
19 waxy potatoes, such as Roseval
A good pinch of sea salt
A drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil
2tbsp flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1tsp sweet Spanish paprika
Bring a large pot of well-salted water to boil. Wash the octopus under cold running water. When the water is boiling rapidly, plunge the octopus in for 15 seconds, then remove. Allow the water to reboil and repeat this four times, allowing the water to boil between each immersion. On the last plunge, turn the heat down to barely a simmer and leave the octopus to cook for 40 minutes, or until tender. Remove the octopus from the pan and allow to cool.
Bring the water back to the boil. Add the potatoes and cook for 30 minutes, or until tender. Remove from the pan and peel once cool enough to handle.
Using a sharp knife, slice the octopus tentacles and potatoes into 1cm slices. Arrange the potatoes on a serving plate and cover with the octopus. Sprinkle with the sea salt, drizzle generously with the olive oil and finish with the parsley and sweet paprika. Serve immediately. '
Life & Style blogs
The Interview release: President Obama hails Sony's decision to put out film on Christmas Day after all
Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
GTA 5: Christmas arrives in Los Santos as update brings snowball fights, festive jumpers and a homing missile launcher
'Tis the season!: Google celebrates Christmas Eve with second animated Doodle
Christmas 2014: Jesus was not born in a stable, says theologian
- 1 North Korean prison officers 'cooked prisoner's baby and fed it to their dogs', more horrific accounts from UN report reveal
- 2 Antonio Martin shooting: Mayor says there should be 'no comparison' to Ferguson
- 3 Antonio Martin shooting: Police and protesters clash over teenager's death just five miles from Ferguson, Missouri
- 4 British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
- 5 Isis 'did not shoot down coalition-led warplane' before capturing Jordanian pilot, says US
iJobs Food & Drink
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...
£240 - £275 per day: Investigo: Support the global business through in-depth a...
Negotiable: Ashdown Group: Data Manager - MySQL, Shell Scripts, Java, VB Scrip...
£27000 - £32000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Application Support Analyst - near S...