Girolles and eggs on toast
Sunday 12 September 2010
Mushrooms and eggs are a classic combination; the girolles make it a little more elegant. Lovely for brunch on an autumn Sunday, or equally good as a light supper.
50g/2oz unsalted butter
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped
1 small bunch of flat-leaf parsley, fairly finely chopped
2 free-range eggs
Pick over the girolles with your fingers, removing any bits of grass that may be lurking among them, then wipe gently with a clean dry cloth. Place a frying pan over a medium heat and add the butter.
Once the butter is foaming, add the mushrooms and season generously with salt and pepper. Turn up the heat and allow the mushrooms to cook for three to four minutes, tossing them once or twice during cooking. Add the garlic halfway through and once the pan has come off the heat, stir in the chopped parsley.
Meanwhile, cook the eggs, by placing a small non-stick frying pan over a medium heat, add butter and allow it to melt. Crack in the eggs and cook to your preference – I like a firm white with a soft yolk centre. Serve on top of a slice of toast or on its own, as you prefer.
Life & Style blogs
International Kissing Day: Why it feels good
World learns of app that shows you who unfriended you on Facebook, app promptly crashes
People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
The biggest first date turnoff has been revealed
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
- 1 Autistic teenager beaten up by bullies makes them watch 20-minute video about autism
- 2 Nick Kyrgios calls former Olympian Dawn Fraser a 'blatant racist' after she tells Wimbledon star to 'go back where their parents came from'
- 3 World learns of app that shows you who unfriended you on Facebook, app promptly crashes
- 4 Chris Moyles reportedly set to make radio comeback with new breakfast show on XFM
- 5 The Greece debt crisis explained in less than 100 words
iJobs Food & Drink
£7 per hour: Recruitment Genius: To work within the Visitor Experience Departm...
£15000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: To support their continued grow...
£33000 - £38000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A global player and world leade...
£18000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: If you are friendly, sociable, ...