Goose fat potatoes
This is a great alternative to roast spuds for a festive treat and it works best if you have a good non-stick, deep, frying pan. You can add slices of garlic or thyme leaves in among the layers of potato if you wish.
1kg large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
20g goose or duck fat
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat one 26cm or two 20cm cast iron or ovenproof non-stick frying pans on top of the stove or in the oven. Remove from the heat, then rub the bottom of the pan with a little goose fat and lay the potatoes around, covering the surface (the bottom will become the top). Continue to lay the potatoes, lightly seasoning every couple of layers and rubbing the potatoes with a little more goose fat until it's all used up.
Bake in the oven for 1 hour. If the potatoes are beginning to turn brown on top, cover with foil and test whether they are cooked with the point of a knife in the centre. Turn the potato cakes out on to a chopping board; cut into equal wedges.
Life & Style blogs
National Burger Day: all your beefy questions answered
36-year-old skeleton of dead baby found inside Indian woman
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
The science of saturated fat: A big fat surprise about nutrition?
Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini review: a watertight little brother to the S5 with a top flight screen
- 1 Arizona shooting: Gun instructor accidentally killed by nine-year-old girl with Uzi
- 2 Paul Scholes: Manchester City were so good against Liverpool I felt like turning the television off
- 3 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 4 Homer Simpson has taken the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he has
- 5 Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Food & Drink
£30 - 35k + Uncapped Comission (£70k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Business Develop...
£18k + Uncapped Commission (£60k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Graduate Sales Exe...
£25 - 60k (DOE): Guru Careers: A Web Developer / Software Developer is needed ...
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...