Goose fat potatoes
This is a great alternative to roast spuds for a festive treat and it works best if you have a good non-stick, deep, frying pan. You can add slices of garlic or thyme leaves in among the layers of potato if you wish.
1kg large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
20g goose or duck fat
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat one 26cm or two 20cm cast iron or ovenproof non-stick frying pans on top of the stove or in the oven. Remove from the heat, then rub the bottom of the pan with a little goose fat and lay the potatoes around, covering the surface (the bottom will become the top). Continue to lay the potatoes, lightly seasoning every couple of layers and rubbing the potatoes with a little more goose fat until it's all used up.
Bake in the oven for 1 hour. If the potatoes are beginning to turn brown on top, cover with foil and test whether they are cooked with the point of a knife in the centre. Turn the potato cakes out on to a chopping board; cut into equal wedges.
Life & Style blogs
Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time: 10 worst gadgets of recent times
The secret to a great sex life revealed: Two cups of coffee a day
New Zealand 'the best country to work as a prostitute', says sex worker advocacy group
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
Facebook status updates indicates whether a user is narcissistic or neurotic, research finds
- 1 Games of Thrones actor Lena Headey makes emotional promise to her unborn daughter
- 2 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 3 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 4 Female Muay Thai champion hustles coaches to give them a beating
- 5 16-year-old girl beaten and burned alive by lynch mob in Rio Bravo, Guatemala
iJobs Food & Drink
£24K + Excellent Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking an Events Coordinator ...
Salary 42,000: Royal Yachting Association Cymru Wales: The CEO is responsible ...
£35-40k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Marketing Communicati...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A growing business that has been ope...