Grilled marrow with pesto
Before the marrows get too large, it's a good idea to barbecue them or cook them in a griddle pan to get a slightly charred flavour. If you have a decent patch of basil, get it harvested now – then you can blend it into a pesto, put it into jars to toss into pasta during the winter months, or just spoon over simply grilled vegetables as I have done here.
1 small to medium-sized marrow
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Vegetable or corn oil for brushing
For the pesto
20g pine nuts, lightly toasted
50g-60g fresh basil leaves and any soft stalks
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
A good pinch of sea salt
100-120ml extra virgin olive oil
6tbsp freshly grated parmesan or pecorino
Put the pine nuts, basil, garlic, salt and olive oil in a liquidiser and coarsely blend. Add the cheese and blend again briefly.
Cut the marrow into 6-7cm lengths, then cut down into 1cm-thick slices. Preheat a ribbed griddle or barbecue, season and lightly oil the marrow slices and grill them for 3-4 minutes, or less, on each side – until tender but not mushy.
Serve the marrow hot or warm with the pesto spooned on top.
Life & Style blogs
A roundup of the latest property news
Plus, do energy saving measures boost house prices?
The spring menswear season has only just begun, but I've already started to get deep and meaningful....
Stair-climbing: A step change in keeping fit
China overtakes US with world's fastest supercomputer
Europe's largest TV now on sale - a 90-inch, £12,000 giant from Sharp
Persisted heartburn sufferers urged to visit doctor to rule out cancer
Exposed: Edward Erin, the doctor whose faked asthma drug test results proved fatal
- 1 Freedom fighters? Cannibals? The truth about Syria’s rebels
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Special Report: US troops are stationed in Japan to protect the nation. But to sex workers in Okinawa, they bring fear, not security
- 4 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
- 5 Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid President Assad forces in Syria
iJobs Food & Drink
£20,000 - £45,000 OTE: Co-Venture: Working for this company will give you a ch...
£40000 - £60000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£18000 - £35000 per annum + Award-Winning Benefits & Uncapped Comm: Flight Cen...
Negotiable: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Cruise Ship Seasonal W...