Grilled marrow with pesto
Before the marrows get too large, it's a good idea to barbecue them or cook them in a griddle pan to get a slightly charred flavour. If you have a decent patch of basil, get it harvested now – then you can blend it into a pesto, put it into jars to toss into pasta during the winter months, or just spoon over simply grilled vegetables as I have done here.
1 small to medium-sized marrow
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Vegetable or corn oil for brushing
For the pesto
20g pine nuts, lightly toasted
50g-60g fresh basil leaves and any soft stalks
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
A good pinch of sea salt
100-120ml extra virgin olive oil
6tbsp freshly grated parmesan or pecorino
Put the pine nuts, basil, garlic, salt and olive oil in a liquidiser and coarsely blend. Add the cheese and blend again briefly.
Cut the marrow into 6-7cm lengths, then cut down into 1cm-thick slices. Preheat a ribbed griddle or barbecue, season and lightly oil the marrow slices and grill them for 3-4 minutes, or less, on each side – until tender but not mushy.
Serve the marrow hot or warm with the pesto spooned on top.
Life & Style blogs
International Kissing Day: Why it feels good
World learns of app that shows you who unfriended you on Facebook, app promptly crashes
People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
The biggest first date turnoff has been revealed
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
- 1 Autistic teenager beaten up by bullies makes them watch 20-minute video about autism
- 2 Nick Kyrgios calls former Olympian Dawn Fraser a 'blatant racist' after she tells Wimbledon star to 'go back where their parents came from'
- 3 World learns of app that shows you who unfriended you on Facebook, app promptly crashes
- 4 Chris Moyles reportedly set to make radio comeback with new breakfast show on XFM
- 5 The Greece debt crisis explained in less than 100 words
iJobs Food & Drink
£7 per hour: Recruitment Genius: To work within the Visitor Experience Departm...
£15000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: To support their continued grow...
£33000 - £38000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A global player and world leade...
£18000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: If you are friendly, sociable, ...