Saturday 26 September 2009
This is a nice rich tea-time cake, or you could serve it as a dessert with, say, an ice-cream such as marmalade or ginger. I've served it here with cheese as there is a British tradition, although admittedly not a terribly popular one, to serve fruitcake with cheese. But a cake like this, or even a good old piece of Christmas cake, is really quite delicious with blue cheese – try it.
450g self-raising flour, sifted
A good pinch of salt
225g caster sugar
A good pinch of nutmeg
A good pinch of mixed spice
A good pinch of cinnamon
225g cold butter, cut into small cubes
The finely grated zest of 2 oranges
The finely grated zest of 1 lemon
1 large free-range egg, beaten
150ml Guinness or dark ale
Preheat the oven to 160C/gas mark 3.
Mix the flour, sugar and spices together in a bowl then rub in the butter with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Mix in the grated orange and lemon zest then gently mix in the egg and Guinness; transfer to a round cake or a loaf tin. Cook for about 1 hours or until the point of a skewer comes out clean when inserted in the centre. Leave to cool a little in the tin then turn out on to a cake rack. Serve at room temperature or warm with cheese, thick cream or ice-cream.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Enrique Iglesias injured trying to catch a drone mid concert
- 2 Caitlyn Jenner, formerly Bruce Jenner, reveals new look on Annie Leibovitz shot Vanity Fair cover
- 3 Arsenal players boo chief-executive Ivan Gazidis after being told they would not get bonus for FA Cup triumph
- 4 Man on naked bike ride gets ejected after becoming aroused
- 5 UK weather: Temperatures set to soar making parts of Britain hotter than parts of the Mediterranean
iJobs Food & Drink
£25000 - £34000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: With offices in Manchester, Lon...
£15000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...
£35-40k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Marketing Communicati...
£23K: Guru Careers: We're seeking an experienced Membership Administrator, to ...