Guinness-baked ham hock
Saturday 14 March 2009
I've used Guinness and honey here to add a glaze to this ham hock. Serve it with an Irish potato dish such as champ or colcannon for a main-course dish.
Two unsmoked ham hocks weighing about a kilo each, soaked overnight in cold water
5-6tbsp clear honey
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 onion, peeled and halved
2 large carrots, peeled and halved
A few sprigs of thyme
Wash off the ham hocks and place in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Add the onion, peppercorns, carrots and thyme. Bring to the boil, turn down the heat and simmer for about 2 hours or until the meat is starting to come off the bone. Leave to cool, then remove the large bone that runs through the ham hock, leaving the small bone in. You don't have to do this but it just makes it more presentable.
Pre-heat the oven to 180C/gas mark 5. Line a large roasting tray with doubled-over foil then place the hocks on top. Pour over the honey and some of the Guinness and bake in the oven for about an hour, pouring over more Guinness every so often and basting it. The hocks should have a caramel colour on the outside, but be careful it doesn't burn. If it colours too much, then cover loosely in foil.
Life & Style blogs
Report finds English children among the unhappiest in world
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
Ice Bucket Challenge: ALS Association doesn't yet know what to do with all of the money raised
The science of saturated fat: A big fat surprise about nutrition?
The best gowns on the red carpet of 2014 Venice Film Festival
- 1 Ashya King missing: Police hunt five-year-old boy with brain tumour snatched from Southampton hospital by his parents
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 Botched ice bucket challenge leaves man critically injured after plane drops hundreds of gallons of water
- 5 Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Food & Drink
£30 - 35k + Uncapped Comission (£70k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Business Develop...
£18k + Uncapped Commission (£60k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Graduate Sales Exe...
£25 - 60k (DOE): Guru Careers: A Web Developer / Software Developer is needed ...
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...