Hanger steak with bone marrow
I put this dish on the Chop House menu when we opened in 2008 and it's been on ever since. Hanger steak, or butcher's steak, lies just below the kidneys, near the flank and has a wonderful flavour.
4 butcher's steaks (200g each)
1tbsp vegetable oil for brushing
Salt and ground black pepper
2 x 10-12cm lengths of halved bone marrow
4 small shallots, finely chopped
A couple of good knobs of butter
2 peeled, crushed garlic cloves
50–60g fresh white breadcrumbs
4tbsp chopped parsley
First prepare the marrow: cook the shallots and garlic in a little of the butter for 2-3 minutes. Scoop the marrow out of the bones then chop into rough pieces; mix with the shallot mixture, breadcrumbs and parsley and season.
Spoon the mixture back into the bones, place on a baking tray and bake for about 12-15 minutes until lightly coloured. Bash the steaks a couple of times with a meat cleaver to tenderise. Heat a ribbed griddle pan.
Season the steaks, lightly oil them and cook for about 4-5 minutes on each side then leave to rest.
Slice the steaks into 5 or 6 slices and arrange on warmed plates and place the baked bone marrow next to the steak.
Life & Style blogs
What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
Overly-controlling parents cause their children lifelong psychological damage, says study
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
Star Wars BB-8 droid toy is real, should be impossible
Orthorexia nervosa: How becoming obsessed with healthy eating can lead to malnutrition
- 1 President Obama leaves touching comment on Humans of New York photo from Iran
- 2 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 3 The Chinese city where men have 'three girlfriends because there are so many women'
- 4 German police forced to ask public to stop bringing donations for refugees arriving by train
- 5 Orthorexia nervosa: How becoming obsessed with healthy eating can lead to malnutrition
iJobs Food & Drink
COMPETITIVE: Guru Careers: A Marketing / Digital Marketing Executive (CRM, Eve...
£8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: The role is likely to be 4on 4 off, days and ...
£25000 - £28000 per annum + 24 days holiday, bonus, etc.: Ashdown Group: Print...
£20000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: With offices in London, Manches...