Honey roast ham sandwich with dill pickles
A joint of ham is still a good-value cut whether you boil or roast it, and the flavour hot or cold is second to none. It's so satisfying getting two or three meals from one cut of a boiled ham or bacon.
A raw smoked or unsmoked ham joint weighing a kilo or so
10 or so cloves
3-4tbsp clear honey
4 slices of sourdough
4 large dill pickles, thinly sliced lengthways
2tbsp grain mustard
2tbsp good-quality mayonnaise
Preheat the oven to 180C/gas mark 5. Score the rind of the ham and stud the cloves in randomly. Put a double layer of foil on a baking tray, place the ham on top and spoon over half of the honey.
Roast the ham for about 45 minutes, basting it as it's cooking and adding a little water to the tray if it's caramelising too much and burning. Spoon over the rest of the honey and cook for a further 20 minutes, then remove from the oven and leave to cool.
Once cool, mix the mustard and mayonnaise together; thin down with a little water if it's too thick. Slice enough of the ham for four sandwiches as thinly as possible.
Toast the bread. Spread some of the mayonnaise mixture on the toast, then arrange the ham and pickles and spoon the rest of the mayonnaise on top.
Life & Style blogs
Should doctors and patients learn to plan humane, happier endings rather than trying to prolong life?
Black Friday: Best beauty deals
Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
Black Friday: best UK tech deals on iPads, Macs, PS4 and more
Black Friday: From Bicester Village to Amazon, best fashion deals
- 1 Jennifer Lawrence scores first UK top 40 single with Hunger Games track 'The Hanging Tree'
- 2 Shia LaBeouf claims he was raped during #IAMSORRY art installation performance
- 3 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
- 4 Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries
- 5 Michael Buerk wishes he killed Jimmy Savile when he had the chance - by pushing him overboard a cruise ship
iJobs Food & Drink
£31000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: In the UK, the major project fo...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + benefits: h2 Recruit Ltd: Are you a high achieving...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + benefits: h2 Recruit Ltd: A rapidly growing Hotel ...
£15000 - £16800 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Tyre Technician / Mechanic is...