Lara's crab rostis
Lara, my girlfriend, asked me if crab would work on a crisp potato rosti and I said of course it would, what a great idea. I demonstrated this dish on the Cob for those of you who watched, so here is the recipe.
2 medium-sized baking potatoes, parboiled in their skins for about 15 minutes, then left to cool
1 small onion, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
Vegetable or corn oil for frying
A good knob of butter
A couple of tablespoons of good-quality mayonnaise
1 small green chilli, finely chopped
Salt and freshly ground white pepper
A handful of small salad leaves and herbs
The brown and white meat from a 700-800g crab
1 lemon, quartered
Remove the skins from the potatoes and grate the potato on the coarse side of a grater. Mix with the sliced onions in a bowl and season.
Heat some vegetable oil in preferably a large, non-stick frying pan. Divide the potato mix into four and place in the pan, shaping into thin, roundish patties with the help of a spatula.
Cook them for 4-5 minutes on each side until crisp, then remove from the pan and keep warm. You may have to do this in a couple of batches, depending on the size of your frying pan.
Mix the brown meat with the mayo and chilli; season. To serve, place the rostis on plates and spoon the brown meat mix into the centre, then arrange the leaves and white meat on top. Serve with lemon.
Life & Style blogs
Double chins could be 'cured' without surgery or dieting using new injection
Snapchat got rid of the Best Friends feature and 'stalkers' are upset
Hershey's angers US chocolate purists by forcing company to stop importing 'yummy' Cadbury bars
Food secrets: the good, the bad...and the faeces
Pot of gold: tasting the world’s most expensive tea
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Mystery man who gave mum heart-warming note on train 'wanted to put a smile on her face'
- 3 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 4 Mafia's wall of silence broken: Victim of Cosa Nostra's extortion rackets in its Corleone heartland co-operates with authorities for the first time ever
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent answer to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
iJobs Food & Drink
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Located on the stunning Sandban...
£26 - 35k (DOE): Guru Careers: An Email Marketing Specialist is needed to join...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity to join a is a...
Unpaid voluntary work: Old Royal Naval College: Join our team of friendly volu...