Mackerel with sweetcorn salsa
Serves 4 as a starter
2 medium-sized mackerel, filleted and boned
A little flour for dusting
Vegetable or corn oil for frying
For the salsa
1 corn on the cob
1 red onion, peeled, halved and finely chopped
1 medium red chilli, finely chopped with the seeds
2 tomatoes, finely chopped
100-120ml olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2tbsp chopped coriander
Cook the sweetcorn in boiling salted water for about 15 minutes, until well cooked, then drain and leave to cool. Remove all of the kernels from the cob by cutting them away with a knife.
To make the salsa, gently cook the onion and chilli in the olive oil for a minute then remove from the heat and stir in the corn, tomatoes and coriander; season to taste and add a little more oil if necessary.
Season the mackerel fillets and dust the skin lightly with flour. Heat the vegetable oil in a preferably non-stick frying pan and cook the fillets, skin-side down, for a couple of minutes, until the skin is crisp.
Serve the fillets with the salsa spooned over.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 If I were Prime Minister: I'd give tax cuts to the rich, keep Trident, and get my football team wrong
- 2 Top Gear: Jodie Kidd, Philip Glenister and Guy Martin 'in advanced talks' to join show
- 3 General Election 2015: 14-year-old boy asks Nick Clegg – 'can you kill Katie Hopkins?'
- 4 University student in court for allegedly covering housemates' food in window cleaner and spit
- 5 Garland shooting: Isis claims attack on Prophet Mohamed cartoon contest in Texas as its first action on US soil
iJobs Food & Drink
£32K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Dining Room Head Chef to work for one of ...
£27K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Pastry Sous Chef / Experienced Pastry Che...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A growing business that has been ope...
£24800 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: As one of London's leading Muse...