Mackerel with sweetcorn salsa
Serves 4 as a starter
2 medium-sized mackerel, filleted and boned
A little flour for dusting
Vegetable or corn oil for frying
For the salsa
1 corn on the cob
1 red onion, peeled, halved and finely chopped
1 medium red chilli, finely chopped with the seeds
2 tomatoes, finely chopped
100-120ml olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2tbsp chopped coriander
Cook the sweetcorn in boiling salted water for about 15 minutes, until well cooked, then drain and leave to cool. Remove all of the kernels from the cob by cutting them away with a knife.
To make the salsa, gently cook the onion and chilli in the olive oil for a minute then remove from the heat and stir in the corn, tomatoes and coriander; season to taste and add a little more oil if necessary.
Season the mackerel fillets and dust the skin lightly with flour. Heat the vegetable oil in a preferably non-stick frying pan and cook the fillets, skin-side down, for a couple of minutes, until the skin is crisp.
Serve the fillets with the salsa spooned over.
Life & Style blogs
GTA 5 Online DLC: San Andreas Flight School update brings 16-seater jet plane and more
What is ALS and the Ice Bucket Challenge?
David Beckham fronts the campaign for his underwear autumn/winter collection, which hit stores today
London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
NHS patients to be seen by 'doctors on the cheap'
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'sees no problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 3 London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
- 4 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 5 James Foley beheading: Fox news presenter Megyn Kelly annoyed by Ferguson update during broadcast about murdered journalist
iJobs Food & Drink
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...
£17K OTE £30K: Charter Selection: Highly successful and innovative specialist...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Working with an exciting ...
£23,000: Sauce Recruitment: A global leader in sports and entertainment is now...