Mackerel with sweetcorn salsa
Serves 4 as a starter
2 medium-sized mackerel, filleted and boned
A little flour for dusting
Vegetable or corn oil for frying
For the salsa
1 corn on the cob
1 red onion, peeled, halved and finely chopped
1 medium red chilli, finely chopped with the seeds
2 tomatoes, finely chopped
100-120ml olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2tbsp chopped coriander
Cook the sweetcorn in boiling salted water for about 15 minutes, until well cooked, then drain and leave to cool. Remove all of the kernels from the cob by cutting them away with a knife.
To make the salsa, gently cook the onion and chilli in the olive oil for a minute then remove from the heat and stir in the corn, tomatoes and coriander; season to taste and add a little more oil if necessary.
Season the mackerel fillets and dust the skin lightly with flour. Heat the vegetable oil in a preferably non-stick frying pan and cook the fillets, skin-side down, for a couple of minutes, until the skin is crisp.
Serve the fillets with the salsa spooned over.
Life & Style blogs
What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
Overly-controlling parents cause their children lifelong psychological damage, says study
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
Star Wars BB-8 droid toy is real, should be impossible
Orthorexia nervosa: How becoming obsessed with healthy eating can lead to malnutrition
- 1 President Obama leaves touching comment on Humans of New York photo from Iran
- 2 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 3 The Chinese city where men have 'three girlfriends because there are so many women'
- 4 'Heartbreaking' Syria orphan photo wasn't taken in Syria and not of orphan
- 5 German police forced to ask public to stop bringing donations for refugees arriving by train
iJobs Food & Drink
£22000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...
£7500 - £10000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness chai...
COMPETITIVE: Guru Careers: A Marketing / Digital Marketing Executive (CRM, Eve...
£8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: The role is likely to be 4on 4 off, days and ...