Makes about 12
Saturday 06 March 2010
These are simple little cakes baked in shell-shaped Madeleine moulds that can be eaten at any time of the day with tea or simply as a little after-dinner nibble. I've even started making savoury versions with cheese to go with soups; or you could use them as a base for savoury canapés.
135g unsalted butter, softened
2tbsp clear honey
3 large eggs
110g caster sugar
15g soft light brown sugar
135g self-raising flour, sifted
Melt the butter and honey in a saucepan and simmer until golden brown. Leave to cool; then, using an electric beater, whisk the eggs, caster sugar and brown sugar together for 8-10 minutes until tripled in volume.
Fold in the sifted flour and butter mixture until well mixed. Pour into a container and leave to rest for 2 to 3 hours in the fridge.
Preheat the oven to 180C/gas mark 5. Grease your Madeleine moulds with butter and dust with flour. Place a dessert spoon of the mixture in each mould and cook for 12-15 minutes. Leave to cool and transfer to a cake wire.
Life & Style blogs
How old is your heart? US research finds three out of four people have hearts five years older than their actual age
iPhone 6s Plus photos: leaks show Force Touch display, subtly altered size
Huawei Mate S and Huawei Watch: new products take on iPhone 6 Plus and Apple Watch
Why do we have eyebrows? The social significance of our silent communicators
WhatsApp: How to discover who your best friends are - using a hidden tool within the application
- 1 Huawei Mate S and Huawei Watch: new products take on iPhone 6 Plus and Apple Watch
- 2 More than 11,000 Icelanders offer to house Syrian refugees to help European crisis
- 3 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 4 Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
- 5 German police forced to ask public to stop bringing donations for refugees arriving by train
iJobs Food & Drink
£25000 - £28000 per annum + 24 days holiday, bonus, etc.: Ashdown Group: Print...
£20000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: With offices in London, Manches...
£30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Customer and Brand Manager required for ...
£25000 - £35000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Systems Administrator A...