Maple syrup and pecan ice-cream
Sunday 13 April 2008
500ml/17fl oz whole milk
1 vanilla pod, split in half lengthways
10 egg yolks
100g/31/2oz caster sugar
11/2tbsp maple syrup
300ml/10fl oz double cream
20 pecan nuts
Place the milk and vanilla pod in a saucepan and bring to just below the boil. Remove from the heat and leave to infuse for at least 15 minutes. Remove the vanilla pod and set aside.
Place the egg yolks and caster sugar in a bowl and whisk together thoroughly.
Return the milk to the heat and again bring it to just below the boil. Remove and add the maple syrup. Pour over the egg and sugar mixture, then return to the saucepan and place over a very low heat. Stir in a figure of eight motion until the liquid coats the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely.
Once cool, stir the cream through the mixture, then churn in the ice-cream maker. When the ice-cream begins to set, fold in the nuts and continue to churn for another 10 minutes. Transfer the ice-cream to a tub and place in the freezer for at least two hours before serving. You can serve it, as I do, with a few more chopped pecans and a drizzle of maple syrup.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 2 Ed Miliband deemed less influential than One Direction's Louis Tomlinson by official Doncaster power list
- 3 Japanese island overrun with cats after population explodes
- 4 Delhi bus rapist blames dead victim for attack because 'girls are responsible for rape'
- 5 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
iJobs Food & Drink
£16000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Located on the stunning Sandban...
£12500 - £13520 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Experienced Hotel Receptionists...
£12500 - £13520 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Located on the stunning Sandban...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: Qualified Lifeguards are required to join a fa...