Maple syrup and pecan ice-cream
Sunday 13 April 2008
500ml/17fl oz whole milk
1 vanilla pod, split in half lengthways
10 egg yolks
100g/31/2oz caster sugar
11/2tbsp maple syrup
300ml/10fl oz double cream
20 pecan nuts
Place the milk and vanilla pod in a saucepan and bring to just below the boil. Remove from the heat and leave to infuse for at least 15 minutes. Remove the vanilla pod and set aside.
Place the egg yolks and caster sugar in a bowl and whisk together thoroughly.
Return the milk to the heat and again bring it to just below the boil. Remove and add the maple syrup. Pour over the egg and sugar mixture, then return to the saucepan and place over a very low heat. Stir in a figure of eight motion until the liquid coats the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely.
Once cool, stir the cream through the mixture, then churn in the ice-cream maker. When the ice-cream begins to set, fold in the nuts and continue to churn for another 10 minutes. Transfer the ice-cream to a tub and place in the freezer for at least two hours before serving. You can serve it, as I do, with a few more chopped pecans and a drizzle of maple syrup.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Christmas comes early to Hong Kong, as millions of bank notes spill out onto busy street
- 2 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public can visit police’s grisly crime museum
- 3 British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
- 4 Vagina canoe artist facing two years in jail defends herself over ‘obscenity’ charges
- 5 The Queen’s speech 2014: Recap and Twitter reaction to Game of Thrones reference
iJobs Food & Drink
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...
£240 - £275 per day: Investigo: Support the global business through in-depth a...
Negotiable: Ashdown Group: Data Manager - MySQL, Shell Scripts, Java, VB Scrip...
£27000 - £32000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Application Support Analyst - near S...