Mark Hix recipe: A simple tomato sauce
This is a great sauce to keep in the freezer for pasta, gnocchi, meatballs or a simple sauce to go with fish or meat. If you freeze it in zipped bags flat on a tray it will defrost quickly in some warm water. You can add chilli to this to spice it up for an arrabbiata sauce or add capers for a puttanesca-type sauce.
4-5tbsp olive oil
1 onion, peeled, halved and finely chopped
2tsp tomato purée
400g can of good-quality chopped tomatoes
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
250ml vegetable stock >
Gently cook the onion and garlic in the oil for 2-3 minutes until soft. Add the tomato purée, chopped tomatoes and stock, season, bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add water if the sauce is getting too thick.
Life & Style blogs
Airline food across the classes: Ever wondered what the other half are eating?
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
Huawei P8 review: best phones nobody's seen from the biggest company nobody's heard
The busiest Starbucks in the US is also the most secretive - it's where the CIA gets its coffee fix
Contraceptive pill 'can affect emotions by changing structure of brain'
- 1 Alan Rickman admits editing 'terrible' script with friends in Pizza Hut behind backs of writers on Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
- 2 18th century sex toy found in 'toilet of sword fighting school' in Poland
- 3 US? China? India? The 10 biggest economies in 2030 will be...
- 4 'I wish my teacher knew...': Young students share their 'heartbreaking' worries in notes
- 5 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats
iJobs Food & Drink
£24000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: With offices in Manchester, Lon...
Competitive (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a number of Marketi...
£20000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This well established business ...
£25000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Management Accountant - Manchester...