Mark Hix recipe: Full English tart
You can vary the topping on this as much as you fancy, but try and use things that you would traditionally have for breakfast, so things like black or white pudding, or sliced sausage. I've used a mixture of the sun-dried tomato base and the mushroom here, too, but if you prefer, just use one or the other.
4 butter puff pastry rectangles rolled to 3-4mm and cut to about 8x10cm
A mixture of the sun-dried tomato paste and the mushroom duxelle, or either one on their own
2 tomatoes, quartered
80-100g black pudding, broken into chunks
2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and halved
100g piece of streaky bacon cut into 1cm cubes or 4 rashers of streaky bacon
A little vegetable or corn oil for brushing
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Crumb topping (optional)
Preheat the oven to 200C/gas mark 6. Dock the pastry with a fork to prevent it rising, place on a baking tray and bake for 5 minutes; then remove from the oven. Put the tomatoes, mushrooms and bacon on a tray under a medium grill, brush the tomatoes with a little oil, season and cook for 3-4 minutes, then remove.
Spread the tomato paste (see Mark's tomato tart recipe) on the puff pastry, then arrange the bacon, tomato and black pudding on top with half an egg. Quarter the egg if you wish. Brush with a little oil and bake for 8-10 minutes. You can scatter the crumb mixture over it, if you wish, a few minutes before removing it from the oven.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Kylie Jenner challenge: Bizarre lip suction device inspired by Kardashian sister goes viral
- 2 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 3 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor are reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 4 Bruce Forsyth backs assisted dying campaign: 'If I had Alzheimer's or dementia I would do something about it'
- 5 Giorgio Armani criticises the way some gay men dress saying 'a man has to be a man'
iJobs Food & Drink
£24000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: With offices in Manchester, Lon...
Competitive (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a number of Marketi...
£20000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This well established business ...
£25000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Management Accountant - Manchester...